PDA

View Full Version : Wax/Seal Windows?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
01-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Windows have always been something I clean and don`t wax.
Do many of you actually wax/seal windows?
What do you find to be beneficial about doing it?
You don`t do the windshield, do you?
Do you do the rear window if it is equipped with a wiper?
Do you wax the inside of the windows?

I also remember seeing where some of you use a QD on the windows. A QD seems like a rather expensive window cleaning product. Does it offer some advantage to justify the cost?
Is winter ever going to end?

RANDAL
01-27-2008, 09:39 AM
I always wax or use sealant on the outside widows. I didnt one time when my wife told e her mother doesnt like the windows waxed. I double waxed them the next time and never heard about. They really allow rain and snow to run off a lot easier. RANDAL

Low Tech
01-27-2008, 09:43 AM
I swear by Aquapel. Rain Repellent Glass Treatment (http://corporateportal.ppg.com/NA/Aquapel/EN)

In my experience, it is much better than Rain-x or paint sealants on glass and makes future cleanings with a glass cleaner much easier...

cwcad
01-27-2008, 10:28 AM
I do not like windshild wipers. The motion of the wipers always gets me moving my head from side to side to try and see around the wipers.

I like to use sealants or spray sealants on my windows so I do not have to use the wipers as much. A light drizzle seems to flow off the windshield and make the use of a windshield wiper un-necessary. Of course if you ask my wife it seems that it drives her crazy when she is riding with me.

I have never had the streaking issue that you speak of, Charles. Of course I am a smokers so I guess I am used to the fog.

jaybs02
01-27-2008, 11:28 AM
I have used AIO and VM on my windshield, it did get them nice and clean and left some protection on them where the water would blow off W/O the use of my wipers as I was driving.
I did try doing the interior as well once but instead of the windows fogging up which my defroster could take care of, it would bead up and was more of a pain. I`m not doing that any more.

"J"

Scott P
01-27-2008, 11:50 AM
I`ve used Diamondite on my windshields before. I`ve also used sealants. I don`t like to use wipers that much. I`ll always use a quick detailer on the exterior glass after washing. I already have it in my hands since I`m doing the paint. Plus, it gives a nice streak free finish and sparkle to the glass.

Reddwarf
01-27-2008, 12:29 PM
I have used Klasse AIO on the windshield (outside only) and it really seemed to help the rain roll off more easily. I also tried Clearkote QuikShine and it really made the water bead up and roll off; however, as soon as the wipers went on there was a buildup of the QS on the windshield. I did not streak, it just made a line. So now, I sometimes will put QS on the windows and rear windshield (exterior only) but not the windshield.

ekkoville
01-27-2008, 03:23 PM
Are any of you that seal the windshield doing so by hand or using the machine while its already out and just making a quick pass to spread the product. Seems like overkill to use the PC, but if your already doing the whole car, why not just keep goin?

Erik

blk45
01-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Once a window has been waxed or sealed, how do glass cleaners work and/or affect it, IG or SC?

RTexasF
01-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I seal them all, windshield included. No negatives to date.

Way2SSlow
01-28-2008, 09:15 AM
I used to use Castrol Accu Vision when China-Mart carried it, but now I just use OCW. I hit the windows while I am OCW`ing the rest of the car.

rabbi
01-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Let me get this straight! Some of you actually wax your windshield and it doesn`t cause a vision problem? I use Rainx and Aquapel but I`ve never tried wax to make the water wisk off my windows.:passout:

cwcad
01-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Let me get this straight! Some of you actually wax your windshield and it doesn`t cause a vision problem? I use Rainx and Aquapel but I`ve never tried wax to make the water wisk off my windows.:passout:

Yes Rabbi, I have used the PC to apply sealants to my windshield on the exterior of the vehicle. I have never encountered any problems. I feel it not only cuts down the use of my wipers it also helps keep the windshield cleaner longer. I feel that bugs do not stick as badly to sealed windows as well.

I also use spray sealants when I do a quick wipe down.

I use a window cleaner for the interior widows though.

Stephan
01-28-2008, 10:06 AM
I tried it once and it smeared...I could never get all the wax off...

I have found that just a clean winshield, meaning I wash it, then occaisonally clay it repells water just fine.

rabbi
01-28-2008, 10:11 AM
I found that around 35 to 40 mph makes the water wisk off. Does the water come off at a slower speed using sealant or wax?:passout: