PDA

View Full Version : Football coverage on TV

CharlesW
01-01-2008, 10:01 PM
Since the high today was about 10 degrees, it seemed like a good day to watch some football.
After watching parts of several games, I noticed several things they all had in common.
1. Announcers that talk way too much. Do they really think their inane chatter actually adds to the games?
2. Poor camera coverage during the game. Quite often they would be showing some sideline crap when the ball was in play.
3. The pop-up commercial windows that cover up the actual play did one thing, annoyed the heck out of me. Don`t they have enough sense to show that stuff during timeouts and when the announcers are making their dumb comments rather than during the actual play?
4. If all these announcers know so much about the mistakes the coaches are making, how come the coaches are the ones making the big bucks? The second guessing after a play is something I could do. Try making those decisions before the ball is snapped, not after the play is over.
5. I was able to turn off the sound and do away with the gibberish, but I haven`t figured out how to control the pop-up commercials or the incompetent camera work.
6. In fairness to the camera people, the bad camera shots were probably because of the poor director choices on what to show.
7. Some good football though, in spite of their best efforts to mess it up. :bigups

cwcad
01-01-2008, 10:27 PM
Another laudable post, Charles. Your points are well taken. I wish I knew what to do about the pop ups as well.

bigron62
01-02-2008, 12:38 AM
yeah im not real happy with tv football either ..this nfl network is something i wont pay for ..total bs having to pay to watch thursday/sat games ..i hope nascar doesnt try this because i can barely stand it for free..they have almost ruined a great thing with micromanagement and hi tech cars ../ weekly rules changes ..

Stephan
01-02-2008, 05:44 AM
The NFL network is painful, someone there needs to reconsider their broadcasters, Gumble is awful to have to listen to.

Scott P
01-02-2008, 08:22 AM
The Pats/Giants game was a big commercial for the NFL Network. The constant jabs at cable companies and the crying about not being available to all viewers got old quick. The product itself looked bad due to shoddy production and a miserable announcing crew.

The NFL Network wants $0.70 per subscriber plus a slot in the basic lineup for what amounts to eight NFL games, preseason games and football talk that you can get on any number of sports networks. That`s simply being arrogant.

rayoto
01-02-2008, 02:52 PM
The NFL network is painful, someone there needs to reconsider their broadcasters, Gumble is awful to have to listen to.

I have to agree. I went to the Colts/Falcons game on Thanksgiving...TV cannot compare to the live event...ever.