PDA

View Full Version : Door jams..

Pages : [1] 2

CBlakeNS
12-17-2007, 01:34 AM
I know everyone says they normally spray them down with an APC. However, when you use the power washer to power wash them, do you just adjust the end of the power washer to spray in a straight line basically or what, I feel like water would get all over the interior.

audiboy
12-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I never spray door jams. I just use PB`s S&W and wipe them out using a clean mf towel.

Stephan
12-17-2007, 05:34 AM
I use SW as well, using a power washer on the door jambs is going to cause alot of water to be put into the inside of the car. However if you feel the need to I wouldn`t use a straight line I think thats too much pressure for the paint, I would fan it out a bit.

Brenton
12-17-2007, 06:59 AM
We have two pressure washers in the shop. One is only 1700PSI max, at 30%spread I can`t imagine it being over 800PSI. Not much overspray. We don`t typically do it unless we have a full interior to clean.
And we only do it to certain cars--industrial vehicles, country cars--the ones with that layer of thick dust and dirt. About 1/2 the cars we clean, most of the dirt wipes off when we wipe the jambs of moisture after a wash.
We will also do this with thick undercoating left on for years on doors & jambs.

9D4E420
12-17-2007, 09:37 AM
It definitely should not be a problem. It just depends on the length of your wand. The shorter the wand the easier it is to angle. I`ve been pressure washing jambs for ten years and never really had a mess. Just take your time and use a medium fan setting on the wand.

Scott P
12-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I use Spray & Wipe and follow with a cleaner wax. That usually works quite well.

Beemerboy
12-17-2007, 10:12 AM
If they are real bad I spray in APC use a brush to get things loose then use water on very low to rinse them and then wipe them up with a MFT...you could also use a leaf blower to get the water out if that was necessary

Poorboy
12-17-2007, 11:13 AM
I use Spray & Wipe and follow with a cleaner wax. That usually works quite well.

Me too ..:rockon Spray & Wipe , then QW+:bigups

Beemerboy
12-17-2007, 11:34 AM
Me too ..:rockon Spray & Wipe , then QW+:bigups

I don`t find that S&W is strong enough in some cases...APC seems to be my good to

Poorboy
12-17-2007, 11:43 AM
I don`t find that S&W is strong enough in some cases...APC seems to be my good to
yeah if there is heavy grease, then I use APC first too;)

Beemerboy
12-17-2007, 11:57 AM
yeah if there is heavy grease, then I use APC first too;)

I just find it easier to spray in the APC...use a brush then rinse with water on very low pressure...wipe up and use some wax in areas that you can reach and I finish with a no rub aerosol polish that I get from a local supplier...its the same thing as Stoners trim shine

Tony Supreme
12-17-2007, 12:03 PM
What you can do is spray the door jambs with your all purpose, close the doors, leave them a crack open like they are not shut all the way, pressure wash then wipe quick to get left over dirt & water.

Bellydawg
12-17-2007, 05:38 PM
I use an APC and brush to clean. I use a spray bottle with just water to rinse. This way I can adjust to a misting or more direct stream depending on the need.

Good luck,

rwisejr
12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
What I found that works nice is spray with an apc let dwell and spray off with water in a pressurized chemical sprayer and blow dry works pretty well

CharlesW
12-17-2007, 07:06 PM
How about a little clarification for someone that isn`t quite sure what you are talking about.
To me, the door jambs are the openings in the car body that surround the door.
The part of that door jamb at the floor level, I call a door sill.
Then we have the perimeter of the door itself.

Door jambs that are fairly accessible which would include the door sills, I clean with a terry towel and Poorboy`s S&W. On rare occasions, (Not on my vehicles:)), I might use an APC and the terry towel first.
Areas that are not easily gotten to such as around the hinges or the door strike, I would use the same products with a paint brush. Any brushes I would use would have to be pretty paint safe since both my jambs and sills are mostly painted.

The perimeter of the door, I use a terry towel and S&W in almost all cases. Very seldom is an APC needed.

One thing that is a big advantage to me is that on my own vehicles, those areas are cleaned at each wash. It`s really pretty easy to keep things clean when you never let them get truly dirty.
Under the hood, trunk, doors & jambs only get dirty when I miss something. (Unfortunately I sometimes do that.)