PDA

View Full Version : homemade spray wax out of paste, anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

TrueDetailer
12-10-2007, 07:40 PM
Anyone try this yet?

I got a few tins of paste wax i don`t use to much anymore. I been thinking of trying to make my own homemade spray wax out of them. I`m not to sure how i`m going to do this just yet. I`m thinking my food processer and using some kind of solvent to break it down into a sprayable puree.

any ideas of what i could use as a liquid to break it down?

southerndetail
12-10-2007, 07:54 PM
mineral spirits

cwcad
12-10-2007, 08:12 PM
I do not have any ideas for this effort but I am subscribing to this thread so I hope you keep updating us as to the outcome of your experiment.

Good Luck!!

southerndetail
12-11-2007, 07:42 AM
Maybe if you melt your waxes down than add your solvent like mineral spirits or denatured alcohol.

Troy@Protekt
12-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Good Luck.

Pic of True Detailer in action......

Troy@Protekt
12-11-2007, 08:07 AM
Uh oh, looks like the acetone wasn`t a good choice.

blucpe
12-11-2007, 12:01 PM
this sounds like it could be a little scary. by all means be careful.

CharlesW
12-11-2007, 12:57 PM
While I don`t actually remember hearing about any amateur wax blenders having major problems, I have never felt comfortable with the idea.
Many chemicals don`t play well together and adding heat just seems to up the chances of a problem.
You didn`t say anything about heat, but that seems like a logical next step when the stuff doesn`t mix cold. :)

Be sure to factor in the price of a new blender when you add up the total cost of the project. :D

As has been said a few times already, Good Luck!

Poorboy
12-11-2007, 03:11 PM
Many chemicals don`t play well together and adding heat just seems to up the chances of a problem.
You didn`t say anything about heat, but that seems like a logical next step when the stuff doesn`t mix cold. :)

Charles that is some good advice :bigups
I say leave the chemicals to the chemists:rockon

Brace1
12-11-2007, 08:57 PM
..Be sure to factor in the price of a new blender when you add up the total cost of the project. :D ....

Not to mention some marriage counseling sessions.:notme:

Suek
12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Uh oh, looks like the acetone wasn`t a good choice.
A little Turdle Wax will fix that right up.:D

Suek
12-19-2007, 01:42 PM
While I don`t actually remember hearing about any amateur wax blenders having major problems, I have never felt comfortable with the idea.

Be sure to factor in the price of a new blender when you add up the total cost of the project. :D

As has been said a few times already, Good Luck!Hey use a paint shaker.:yay Only kidding

Detailworksguy
01-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Uh oh, looks like the acetone wasn`t a good choice.Thats funny but I did try and I used a spray wax as my base then cut it w/ blue mist heated up some of this old paste I had and just added it it looked great on white but It never really dried and had the finger print issue on darker colors but mineral spirits sounds like the answer I`ll try it again......to be continued DWG

CharlesW
01-01-2008, 09:44 PM
Thats funny but I did try and I used a spray wax as my base then cut it w/ blue mist heated up some of this old paste I had and just added it it looked great on white but It never really dried and had the finger print issue on darker colors but mineral spirits sounds like the answer I`ll try it again......to be continued DWGConsidering that the Dura Gloss Aqua Wax has the astronomical price of $7.50 less the 10% DC discount making it $6.75 for a 22 oz. bottle, maybe you should just forget the homebrew wax thing. :D

black bart
01-02-2008, 04:07 AM
The only time that I tried being a home chemist it turned out really well.

I mixed Duragloss FC&S with 30% Auqawax and I still use it like that but I think I`ll pass on the melting of paste wax. :lmfao