PDA

View Full Version : Washing in cold weather

Pages : [1] 2 3

Troy@Protekt
11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
I feel funny complaining about detailing on cold mornings on here, but I am definitely a whimp if the temp goes below 50. If there is any wind at at all then even 60 is too cold for me.:rofl

I have never found a good way to keep my hands from getting wet and frost bit when it`s cold. I`m sure you northern detailers have some good tricks like heating your wash water or wearing gloves for washing. Got any more tips or tricks for a Florida boy besides washing it in the garage or starting later in the day?

CharlesW
11-20-2007, 07:37 AM
heating your wash water or wearing gloves for washing. washing it in the garage or starting later in the day
Unfortunately, you seem to have all my secrets already.

Charles

Poorboy
11-20-2007, 07:41 AM
somehow I highly doubt you can get frost bit in 50 or 60 degree weather
:bonk::bonk::bonk:

try wearing dishwashing gloves:rofl:rofl

CharlesW
11-20-2007, 07:46 AM
try wearing dishwashing gloves:rofl:roflThe ones that come up about 1/2 way between your wrist and your elbow work pretty good.

Using a waterless wash will keep your hands quite dry, too. :)

Charles

JaredPointer
11-20-2007, 08:03 AM
Personally, when it gets cold out I just let the dirt layer build up on the vehicle surface. It`s a really good protectant, and the UV blocking abilities are phenomenal.

CharlesW
11-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Personally, when it gets cold out I just let the dirt layer build up on the vehicle surface. It`s a really good protectant, and the UV blocking abilities are phenomenal.That must work.
A lot of people in my area use that system. :D

Charles

Pockets
11-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Sry troy i just pull my truck into the firehouse where it is nice and dry and warm.

OMG JP u nd ur scary things :crazy::crazy::crazy:

:help: JP fund starting at $1 per member at dc :lol2:

GothamAuto
11-20-2007, 08:32 AM
60 degrees is too cold for you huh? You would hate working in New England then.
What I do when I have mobile details to do is set up open of those pop up tents, and you can get "sides" for them that just hook right in place. Or, if yo9u can`t find them, just use regular tarps and some bungee cords. Then you can get these propane tank heaters where the heater will sit right on top of the tank. POint them in toward the back of the tent since most pop up tents won`t cover a full car.
As far as the washing cycle of a detail, you may just have to grin and bear it with some rubber gloves and a body suit that construction workers wear in the winter, and let the tent heat up while you are doing it.

JaredPointer
11-20-2007, 09:01 AM
:help: JP fund starting at $1 per member at dc :lol2:

Yes, everyone, please donate. I am counting on all of you to help keep Mr. Peppers from making a return! :D

In all seriousness, when it gets cold out and I need to do a traditional wash, I generally fill the buckets with warm water and hook the hose to a utility tub and use hot water to rinse with. It`s still cold, but it`s a lot better than using the outside faucet.

Poorboy
11-20-2007, 09:19 AM
I think a propane heater will work very well , along with a garage and a martini :rofl:lol2:

Beemerboy
11-20-2007, 10:16 AM
Personally, when it gets cold out I just let the dirt layer build up on the vehicle surface. It`s a really good protectant, and the UV blocking abilities are phenomenal.

Glad to see you finally found a use for that portrait of yourself JAY:bigups

CalgaryDetail
11-20-2007, 10:33 AM
wimp... haha
washing in cold isnt bad, just use warm water, thorw on some of those thin cotton gloves and throw diswashing gloves overtop. also a parka is a great tool... helps keep the cold out.. at 50 you might need it :D

JaredPointer
11-20-2007, 10:35 AM
Glad to see you finally found a use for that portrait of yourself JAY:bigups

I`m just glad they got my good side.

Stephan
11-20-2007, 10:37 AM
I may donate a dollar, this avatar while not as bad as the others is not that fun to look at...I mean the size of that guys forehead alone, I mean what is that on his forehead a Pelvis?

Poorboy
11-20-2007, 11:25 AM
I may donate a dollar, this avatar while not as bad as the others is not that fun to look at...I mean the size of that guys forehead alone, I mean what is that on his forehead a Pelvis?
I think he needs some clearasil :eek: ..ok maybe a large jar:notme: