PDA

View Full Version : User Names and Passwords...AHHH!!!!!

Beemerboy
11-02-2007, 10:06 AM
User names and passwords

Every time you register at a site you are asked to come up with a user name and password....of course the one that you like and can remember is taken, so you alter that one and hope that you can remember it....of course now you have 10 different alterations of the user name and password of the one you like

I think there should be a universal site that you could register a name and password that would be good at any site to use.....I know this is a pie in the sky suggestion but would that not make it easier?

Sorry for the rant but I am just frustrated that I cannot log into a site that I want to make a payment on because I can`t recall the name or pass that I registered.

Also I love the sites that you submit..your name and password then they offer suggestions like

I`m sorry another member is registered with beemerboy here are some suggestions

beemerboy459823
beemerboy298560
1452beemerboy
boybeemer12453

You think that I can remember any of these?

You have to be kidding me!

Or better yet the password has to letters and numbers combined together and 15 characters long....WHAT:eek:

blk45
11-02-2007, 10:32 AM
beemerboy459823

Does that mean there are 459,822 other users with beemerboy as their user name? :D

BlueZero
11-02-2007, 10:51 AM
I know what you mean. I keep sticky notes with user names and passwords on my desk at home. Then my dumb bank makes me change it every 60 days... grrr

jlift
11-02-2007, 11:22 AM
I agree. I do computer support for the government and I have been installing a free program, Acerose password vault, on user`s pc`s who have this same frustration. It contains all your passwords and any other data you wish to record for that record, is sortable, etc. When you change you password you just open it up and make the change. It`s free too and government approved. All you need to remember is the one username and password to open it. It can even export to excel. :bigups

Beemerboy
11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
I agree. I do computer support for the government and I have been installing a free program, Acerose password vault, on user`s pc`s who have this same frustration. It contains all your passwords and any other data you wish to record for that record, is sortable, etc. When you change you password you just open it up and make the change. It`s free too and government approved. All you need to remember is the one username and password to open it. It can even export to excel. :bigups

Thanks a lot

What I am doing now is typing them all into an excel spread sheet...I just started that today

cwcad
11-02-2007, 11:49 AM
I have a little black book(carry over from my dating days) that has my whole life history. It is under lock and key but is brought out once a month for bill paying time. I have had to many crashes and lost items to not have a hard copy available to me when all else fails.

theamcguy
11-02-2007, 12:38 PM
Try roboform.com Free trial records all of your passwords fills in personal info blanks on web sites. Plus you just to remember the on password to open roboform and it does the rest. Go to a site log in boxes roboform pops up you click one button and your in. Works automatically everytime.

Beemerboy
11-02-2007, 12:54 PM
Try roboform.com Free trial records all of your passwords fills in personal info blanks on web sites. Plus you just to remember the on password to open roboform and it does the rest. Go to a site log in boxes roboform pops up you click one button and your in. Works automatically everytime.

Thanks I uploaded that one and its a cool service

YNOT
11-02-2007, 01:11 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I`ve been trying to hit many of the forums I`m a member of and `consolidate` my passwords. I get so many different passwords going it takes me 2 or 3 minutes to log into sites some times.:rofl

I agree...a universal user name and password would be a great idea!

Beemerboy
11-02-2007, 01:56 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I`ve been trying to hit many of the forums I`m a member of and `consolidate` my passwords. I get so many different passwords going it takes me 2 or 3 minutes to log into sites some times.:rofl

I agree...a universal user name and password would be a great idea!

The roboform site listed I uploaded and its great so far...its a program that resides on your PC and every time you go to log in it recognizes it and lets you make a name for it and also has a link to the site...pretty cool stuff

Also sent the payment PP awhile ago

Stephan
11-02-2007, 03:24 PM
At AT&T where I work every system, website and or form we log into requires a password. We even have some sights on our LAN that require a passphrase. Which is for to five words in length sperated by a spcae, and one word has to be atleast eight letters. I love when its time to change passwords as it takes me an hour to come up with one to meet the stupid criteria.

Beemerboy
11-02-2007, 03:48 PM
At AT&T where I work every system, website and or form we log into requires a password. We even have some sights on our LAN that require a passphrase. Which is for to five words in length sperated by a spcae, and one word has to be atleast eight letters. I love when its time to change passwords as it takes me an hour to come up with one to meet the stupid criteria.

This web site had a password generator that could be of help to you

Acerose

YNOT
11-02-2007, 04:31 PM
Also sent the payment PP awhile ago

Got it...thanks!!:rockon