PDA

View Full Version : A little archery practice...

JaredPointer
10-31-2007, 09:32 AM
I don`t know if any of you are archery people or hunters, but I thought I`d show off a little. Got this "robin hood" yesterday afternoon in my backyard from a treestand (20 feet). Target was 30 yards. The bow consistently shoots <2" groups at this distance. I bought the bow this year - it`s a Mathews Drenalin. :bigups

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/12745_DSC01741_1.jpg

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/images/userpix/12745_DSC01740_1.jpg

jlift
10-31-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey Jared

That is pretty cool. My son (14) and I are just getting into archery. In fact, I am ordering 10 bales of straw for our back yard as a target stop. We have yet to order our bows (we go to a free class on weekends where they supply everything). Can you recommend a good on line supplier of bows and arrows? Not a compound bow like yours, though. Also, do you know where to get good faqs on how to buy a bow for beginning archers? We really don`t know that much yet but are looking forward to it.

Thanks!:rockon

JaredPointer
10-31-2007, 10:04 AM
So you`re looking for a recurve or longbow, correct? I generally buy most of my items from a local archery shop. For one to support the small guys, and the most important reason is I couldn`t shell out a grand for a bow that I haven`t got to "try out." I am a big advocate of buying things online, but I wouldn`t advise purchasing a bow online - at least not without trying it out at an archery shop beforehand.

The bow pictured I actually purchased from a shop online after I shot one identical to it (as well as a few other models) at the local shop. For the more "generic" supplies, I would have to suggest Ebay just due to the fact that you can always find good deals on stuff. Lots of people have good things to say about Lancaster Archery and Hunter`s Friend on one of the archery boards I read.

The best advice I can give you is to shoot a lot of bows before you buy them. There`s really a lot of difference in different brands and different models within the same brand. However, I haven`t shot a long-bow in a loooong time, so I can`t be much help to you there. I am glad you are taking it up - it will be a fun way to spend time with your son. If you have any more specific questions, I will be happy to try and help.

BlueZero
10-31-2007, 10:36 AM
Great shot!

I Bow hunted for a few years. Had to give it up, just no time.

jlift
10-31-2007, 11:50 AM
So you`re looking for a recurve or longbow, correct? I generally buy most of my items from a local archery shop. For one to support the small guys, and the most important reason is I couldn`t shell out a grand for a bow that I haven`t got to "try out." I am a big advocate of buying things online, but I wouldn`t advise purchasing a bow online - at least not without trying it out at an archery shop beforehand.

The bow pictured I actually purchased from a shop online after I shot one identical to it (as well as a few other models) at the local shop. For the more "generic" supplies, I would have to suggest Ebay just due to the fact that you can always find good deals on stuff. Lots of people have good things to say about Lancaster Archery and Hunter`s Friend on one of the archery boards I read.

The best advice I can give you is to shoot a lot of bows before you buy them. There`s really a lot of difference in different brands and different models within the same brand. However, I haven`t shot a long-bow in a loooong time, so I can`t be much help to you there. I am glad you are taking it up - it will be a fun way to spend time with your son. If you have any more specific questions, I will be happy to try and help.

Yep, recurve. That`s what they gave us at the place we went to. I am in California and I did stop in to a few sporting goods places (Big 5, etc.) but they didn`t have any. I will keep looking and take your advice and buy it in person. Like I say, we are absolute beginners, but my son managed to get two bulls eyes out of the first six arrows they gave him! I wasn`t too lucky, but I do like the feel of it. The first time I tried to "nock" the arrow, I actually tried to put it into the ferrule (?) in the middle of the bow...the instructor let me try for about a minute and then politely told me "it goes under there". I bet he got a good laugh at me trying to fit a square peg into a round hole....oh well, you gotta start somewhere...:notme:

JaredPointer
10-31-2007, 12:41 PM
One good place you might want to check out is ArcheryTalk - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/)

You will probably get a lot better advice regarding traditional archery there than you can get from me. I have been shooting a compound since I was a young boy, and I have shot a recurve, but it has been a long time. You gotta have respect for the guys who shoot those things - no sights and no let off!!! :)

Pockets
10-31-2007, 05:32 PM
Wow that is crazy, nice shot jp. Do you hunt with the bow or just do archery.

JaredPointer
10-31-2007, 07:09 PM
I hunt with it also. I added some meat to the fridge reserve this weekend as well, but some folks here might not care to hear about that, so I try to be light on that subject. You can never tell who might get offended or upset about things.

southerndetail
10-31-2007, 07:23 PM
I`ll tell you what, I can smell it now.