PDA

View Full Version : How Many Mf`s Does It Take To Complete A Detail?

Pages : [1] 2

glen22
10-29-2007, 05:54 PM
After readings Charles thread I wondered how many mf`s you go through in a normal detail job? Lets say a wash,clay,2 step polish and a lsp with your choice of a detail spray to finish it off.
I will start and say on the average I use 10 MF`s

Pander5
10-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Including WW`s?

glen22
10-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Including WW`s?

NO!! ;)

CharlesW
10-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Lots of variable here.
Could be as few as 2.
S&W - 1
Poli-Seal - 1
Opti-Seal - 0

Charles

cwcad
10-29-2007, 07:28 PM
I would say that I use 24 to 30 towels for a detail such as you describe. Six towels per step. More if I drop one on the ground every now and then.

JaredPointer
10-29-2007, 07:44 PM
As many as it takes to get the job done. :D I know, I know....

Poorboy
10-29-2007, 08:12 PM
As many as it takes to get the job done. :D I know, I know....

and how many would that be :lol2:

I figure I`d used 6-8 overall:cool:

Beemerboy
10-29-2007, 08:30 PM
2 WW to dry
2 for removing SWR
2 for removing polish
2 for the glaze
2 for the sealant or paste wax
2 for the final wipe down with QD
2 for the rims...one for the polish and one for the sealant

14 towels for me!

CharlesW
10-29-2007, 09:58 PM
Lots of variable here.
Could be as few as 2.
S&W - 1
Poli-Seal - 1
Opti-Seal - 0

CharlesObviously, that example was extreme, but I can`t imagine how I would ever use the number of towels that are being mentioned.

A major detail might take the following.

Bucket Wash - 2 Waffle Weave
One to dry after washing, one for the windows.
Per Glen`s instructions, these would not be included in the overall count.

S&W Wash - 1

DP 4 in 1 Wash - 2
One for the first pass, one for the final drying pass.

Paint Correction if needed - 1 or 2
One for SSR 2.5 or Meg`s #80, possibly another if I need to follow with a less abrasive polish. Rarely needed.

Paint Polishing/Cleaning/Prep - 1
One to remove Klasse AIO, Poli-Seal or PwS.
I seldom need to do both the correcting and the polishing steps

LSP - 1
Dura Gloss #601 doesn`t need to be removed if I am using Dura Gloss and one is all that is needed to remove the DG #105.
Any of the other LSP`s I use would require only one for removal.
That`s still only 3 to 5 if I don`t drop any.

My wheels and tires, and interior are cleaned and treated with some of the many cotton terry towels I still have around.

I do have a mini-van and a mid size car so that might make some difference.

Charles

audiboy
10-29-2007, 10:03 PM
I`d say that, on average, I would use 15-20 towels for that job.

Beemerboy
10-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I`d say that, on average, I would use 15-20 towels for that job.

AB you and I are a long the same lines...I said 14 but that figure can change...I have a lot of towels so I have no issue reaching for a fresh one...working on jet black you take no chances of something being on the towel that will leave a mark, smear or what ever.:wow:

audiboy
10-29-2007, 10:18 PM
AB you and I are a long the same lines...I said 14 but that figure can change...I have a lot of towels so I have no issue reaching for a fresh one...working on jet black you take no chances of something being on the towel that will leave a mark, smear or what ever.:wow:

Yeah, I have plenty too. Like you, I don`t want to take a chance with towel that might be slightly dirty. Plus, it`s not like they`re a one use item. A quick run through the washing machine will make them good as new and available for the next detail.

Beemerboy
10-29-2007, 10:58 PM
Yeah, I have plenty too. Like you, I don`t want to take a chance with towel that might be slightly dirty. Plus, it`s not like they`re a one use item. A quick run through the washing machine will make them good as new and available for the next detail.

Same thing that I think..I have some yellow seconds that I got from Steve that I haven`t even got to yet...lord knows I`m trying:D

blk45
10-29-2007, 11:06 PM
S&W Wash - 1

You only use one towel for S&W Charles?

CharlesW
10-30-2007, 08:06 AM
You only use one towel for S&W Charles?
Not including the wheels, yes.

I use a 24" x 40" plush MF towel folded in 1/8`s.
That gives me 8 approximately 10" x 12" surfaces to use.
It also gives me a very thick towel to use which keeps me from applying too much pressure with my fingers in any one place. Thar way, I`m sure to Spray & Wipe, not rub as Steve often reminds us. :)
That takes care of the painted surfaces.
If I use 16" x 16" towels, it takes at least 4, possibly 5, folded in 1/4`s to do the same job.

I do use a separate WW MF for windows, but if I was using the S&W on the windows, I think the one large MF would do the entire body and windows with no problem.

I do use old cotton terry towels for the wheels, tires, wheel wells. Also for under the hood, the door jambs, and the trunk since I wipe those areas down at each wash.

Charles