PDA

View Full Version : Poorboy`s PwS or Optimum Poli-Seal?

CharlesW
10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Enough people have commented about the carnauba in Poli-Seal to make me question my use of it as a replacement for Klasse AIO as my final step prior to my LSP.
Where the KAIO was considered fine for use before a wax or a sealant, it seems that many people feel the Poli-Seal would be fine before a wax, but might not be the best choice for use before a sealant.
I have used it for that purpose with no apparent problems, but.........
In looking through my stock, I think I may have found a solution to my quandary.
I have some Poorboy`s PwS!
Being sealant based, it should work fine for prep prior to a sealant as well as a wax.
Since the vehicle I plan on doing Friday will have a wax as the LSP, the Poli-Seal will probably work fine.
That will be good.
What is not so good is the fact that I just did the Montana and the Grand Prix with Poli-Seal prior to the Dura Gloss #105. I did use the Dura Gloss #601 PBA after the Poli-Seal and before to the #105 so it might be OK. Then again, it might not.:)
Since I will worry about it, I guess I`ll just have to do the prep over with Poorboy`s PwS.
I can almost see Steve chuckling in the background. :D

Charles

budman3
10-11-2007, 01:41 PM
When using Poorboy`s PwS, PwC, or Poli-seal, you can essientially use them in two differnt ways.

1- The sealant way: You apply it, let dry, remove. Then you can leave the finish as it is or top with appropriate LSP (sealant / wax)

or

2- The polishing way: You can use the PwS, PwC, Poli-seal as a polish, work it in a long time and then remove. During the polishing step, I think the sealant or carnauba properties of the product would have disappeared, leaving you to apply whatever LSP your heart desires.

Atleast that is my understanding of it ... and how I use the above products. I used Poli-seal as a final polish before and then topped with JW Acrylic Jet sealant, with no obvious complications. The same is true when using PwC blue and UPP. However, I have used PwS, applied (not like a polish), let sit, and then topped with a sealant, and had great results as well...

So I guess this is another one of those things that isn`t a definite science. I can`t say for sure if you apply poli-seal as a sealant, without working it in, thus leaving the carnauba finish, that you`ll have bonding issues or not.... but I can see how the carnauba would prevent the sealant bonding directly to the paint ...

CharlesW
10-11-2007, 01:51 PM
Any time I use what I consider to be a polish, (Which would include the PS and the PwS), I use the PC, a polishing pad and pretty much work the product until it disappears.
With your comments, it would seem my Poli-Seal/sealant applications from this week might be OK.
What the heck, I`ll probably be redoing the whole process in January anyway and with the application of AW monthly, I should be good to go. I do think I will use PwS for my sealant prep in the future.

Of course, there is always a good possibility that I will throw on some Opti-Seal somewhere along the line.
Sick, isn`t it. :D

Charles