PDA

View Full Version : Rotary Tips

rayoto
10-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Ok, I`ve read and researched its now time to ask. I`ve been using a UDM for a while and need to use a rotary this weekend on a boat. Without talking product.....What is your method for using a rotary?:thanks

Beemerboy
10-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Ok, I`ve read and researched its now time to ask. I`ve been using a UDM for a while and need to use a rotary this weekend on a boat. Without talking product.....What is your method for using a rotary?:thanks

A rotary is not that hard to use, the things that I would suggest are

Do not use pressure, hold the unit so that the pad spins freely, you are looking to create heat...

Start with the lower speeds until you get the feel for the spinning action.

Careful on the edges a rotary has the abilities to go threw clear and other surface finishes

Watch to keep the pad from building up with product this will cause hoping and product buildup on the car.
You can use a MFT to wipe that off

I like smear some of the product over the surface that I am going to work on, not the pad. This will cut down a lot on product sling..which is a huge issue with a rotary.

Work in small area much like a PC and make sure that you break down the product....be aware that a rotary is going to break down the product much faster than a PC so keep an eye on it

rayoto
10-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Thanks Dave!! :cheers:

southerndetail
10-09-2007, 06:44 PM
You could not have picked a better object to begin with, boats have a gel coat and are much more forgiving than CC.

rayoto
10-10-2007, 06:44 AM
You could not have picked a better object to begin with, boats have a gel coat and are much more forgiving than CC.

This is good to know!!! thanks....

jtford95
10-10-2007, 11:44 AM
If you never have used a rotary buffer you should PRACTICE on a junk car or old body parts. Just to get use to the machine.You do need some pressure to make the correction work. Depending upon how bad the paint is.