PDA

View Full Version : Emblem Care

thedallashilton
09-21-2007, 11:12 PM
What is the best product or technique to use to clean auto emblems on the back of a vehicle? There usually not chrome just plastic and i don`t want to mess them up but want really good shine.

audiboy
09-22-2007, 12:22 AM
I use a chemical polish and apply it by hand if they`re big enough and/or dirty enough. Other than that, I just wash them with my auto soap. Are you noticing swirls or other types of damage on yours?

thedallashilton
09-22-2007, 08:52 AM
No, but i always avoid going over them with the PC because i didn`t know if it was too safe. I usually do it the same way as you do with the soap by hand. But if they had lots of scratches, what would you recommend? They`re plastic btw.

Troy@Protekt
09-22-2007, 09:14 AM
Emblem areas can be a bit difficult if they haven`t been cared for. During the wash you can go over them with a mild APC and small detail brush or tooth brush to clean out build-up.

As far as shining them up, a PC won`t hurt them, as long as you`re being somewhat gentle with it, but you are going to want to go over them by hand with something that will safely polish them and brighten them. A product like Poorboy`s Pro Polish or Wolfgang`s Paintwork Polish Enhancer would work.You can also use a good all-in-one like Pinnacle`s 360 or Klasse`s AIO

Pander5
09-22-2007, 09:22 AM
I like my PC over them however do get in between with an AIO product for the body paint under and in between the emblems/badges. Anything left is removed with a sharp stick wrapped in a MF towel. I will mention that I`m in the "debadge" camp on my car to avoid these issues. My "335i" numbers have been removed and nothing but the BMW roundels are on the car. I like the clean look and don`t mess with things getting caught on them or having to clean them out after. (Just my preference). For customer cars the above precautions are taken.

Good question by the way as we are, after all, into "detailing"!

Don
10-15-2007, 08:53 AM
I removed all of mine :D