PDA

View Full Version : I guess Customer Service can only go so far (Edge Adapter Failure)

Brenton
09-13-2007, 04:57 AM
I love the Edge 2000 system. Nice feel, easy to use. But the adapter broke while working on a car Tuesday. The little ball bearings that snap in and out of place for the quick release fell out. I noticed the button was tight, but didn`t notice the failure until I felt the pad wobble and grab on a bumper.

The result? A burn (where the paint melts and folds together) about an inch long, and a 4 inch tear in the paint (about 1/2 inch wide) along the bottom of the bumper.

I called Autogeek where I bought it, and they are sending a new adapter, but don`t warranty the product. Then I talked to Aaron at Edge pads. He said he wouldn`t cover the damage because he can`t warranty pad damage. I understand that. He did say if I was stupid enough to put the balls back in, and the pad spun off and the adapter hit, that would be covered. :crazy2: But no coverage for the canter caused by the broken adapter in that case.

So, I`m out $300 for the bumper plus the cost of the detail job (a $215 job).

I guess customer service only goes so far.:passout:

audiboy
09-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Did the ball bearings actually fall out during the job, or were they not there to begin with?

AL-53
09-13-2007, 08:17 AM
The ball bearing retainers seem to fail mostly on PC use...I had one fail also...and I will not use it again on a PC..I just use the pads for rotary use now...there have been other posts on other forums with the same problem of the adapter failing on PC usage...causing similar problems like yours....

the adapter works fine on a rotary..no problems..but I think the vibration of the PC eventualy wears the balls down and they pass thru the opening....

Al

Poorboy
09-13-2007, 08:56 AM
So, I`m out $300 for the bumper plus the cost of the detail job (a $215 job).

that certainly is a bummer Brenton :(

jlift
09-13-2007, 09:36 AM
Maybe it`s time for another "new improved" adapter. Seriously, after reading about this mishap, I am thinking about chucking the whole edge system. I have 8 edge PC and 5 8" pads. Maybe velcro is the tried and true system. Bummer....:eek:

CalgaryDetail
09-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Maybe it`s time for another "new improved" adapter. Seriously, after reading about this mishap, I am thinking about chucking the whole edge system. I have 8 edge PC and 5 8" pads. Maybe velcro is the tried and true system. Bummer....:eek:
I used to use the edge system. Myself ad friend both had a few pads split. as safe as its supposted to be, i just dont like the idea of plastic on paint. ..i willadmit aaron offered my buddy (who called) to replace it.. its a new technoloy, there are going to be mishaps. thats life. i guees I ill just wait till those are worked out

Brenton
09-13-2007, 01:38 PM
I still think it is a great technology. Just watch for the balls to be in place. Probably what happened was when I flipped my pad, one ball fell out and I didn`t notice when it popped back in. Make sure the adapter is working smoothly. The button is connected to all moving parts.

And the customer agree to pay for the job, so I`m only out staff cost on the detail job against the paint job.

budman3
09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
Sorry to hear this Brenton. Were you using a rotary or an orbital? It`s also a shame to hear of more failures from the guys over at Edge. Hopefully everything will turn out A OK in the near future.

Brenton
09-13-2007, 03:31 PM
Yeah, sorry. A DW849 Rotary, well used Green (med-cut) pad.

Poorboy
09-13-2007, 08:37 PM
good to hear you weren`t out the whole bill and repair ..sounds as if you have a good customer :)

Brenton
09-15-2007, 11:01 AM
Yeah, a good customer. Allowed me to "do what I think is best" the first time. 2-4 stage polish on a gold Accord with a few scratches too deep to buff out. The bumper was bad anyway.