PDA

View Full Version : Using less water?

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
09-12-2007, 02:12 PM
Reading a thread discussing tow vehicles and the amount of water some professionals need made me wonder:

Why wouldn`t a waterless wash like Poorboy`s Spray & Wipe or the no rinse washes like DP 4 in 1 or ONR be a viable option?
It seems unlikely that every vehicle needing attention will be totally covered in mud.
Use the pressure washer only as needed and do as much of the cleaning as possible with one of the products mentioned.
In many cases, the pressure washer probably wouldn`t be needed for anything but wheels and wheel wells.
In fact, about 80% of my warm weather washes don`t require anything but the S&W or DP 4 in 1. (Personal vehicles only, but daily drivers)
If the vehicle being washed is also going to be polished, then it would seem this method would be even more appealing. I don`t feel I have any problem with marring, but if that concerns you, the polishing step should take care of it.

Is this worth some discussion or am I way off track?

Charles

distrbd
09-12-2007, 04:34 PM
Charles in your opinion washing a car with spray & wash will it be the same as washing it with a pressure washer?in other words will it be just as clean and as dust/dirt free?
I only ask because if I want to polish or wax my car ,I would want to make sure it is really really clean first.

CharlesW
09-12-2007, 04:48 PM
Charles in your opinion washing a car with spray & wash will it be the same as washing it with a pressure washer?in other words will it be just as clean and as dust/dirt free?
I only ask because if I want to polish or wax my car ,I would want to make sure it is really really clean first.
Actually, I think the vehicle will be cleaner than most pressure washers seem to get them.
All of the DIY spray washes and my own pressure washer leave some traces of road film on the paint. Personally, I would not want to dry my paint after using just the pressure washer.
I often go to the spray wash to get the heavy accumulations of road dirt and the winter salt, but I then finish up with either S&W or the DP 4 in 1. If used correctly, either of these products will leave your paint ready for polishing or waxing. I have never used the ONR, but it would probably do the same.

Charles

Beemerboy
09-12-2007, 04:52 PM

If we are talking about the painted areas only then yes....I believe that Charles is talking about using water for the essential areas only...wells, wheel, etc...where S&W would not be as effective....I have used S&W to prep my paint many times for a coat of wax or polish.

CharlesW
09-12-2007, 05:03 PM
If we are talking about the painted areas only then yes....I believe that Charles is talking about using water for the essential areas only...wells, wheel, etc...where S&W would not be as effective....I have used S&W to prep my paint many times for a coat of wax or polish.
You pretty much got it.
I do think you could do the wheel wells with S&W, but I don`t think it would be cost effective. I have done wheels and tires with just S&W many times. I usually do the wheel wells with an APC, a brush and an old terry towel. I`m not really sure just what the limits are with S&W. I think you can clean some pretty nasty stuff if you use enough of the product.

Charles

Beemerboy
09-12-2007, 05:09 PM
You pretty much got it.
I do think you could do the wheel wells with S&W, but I don`t think it would be cost effective. I have done wheels and tires with just S&W many times. I usually do the wheel wells with an APC, a brush and an old terry towel. I`m not really sure just what the limits are with S&W. I think you can clean some pretty nasty stuff if you use enough of the product.

Charles

I have done some darn dirty cars with S&W...the trick that I found was to spray on and let set for a good minute..then with the WW towel wipe the area and turn to finish up...it always seems to do the job for me...I have also done my rims and tires...the wells I wouldn`t even bother..

Poorboy
09-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Charles we sell to quite a few detailers that use the waterless wash system (Spray and Wipe) due to a few reasons. Some use it because of local water restrictions. Some use it because of water recovery restrictions. and some use it as a niche and it intrigues people to have a waterless wash.
I figured out that by the 5 gallon pail (retail) it costs about .50 per car , about .35 per car buying it wholesale. In my mind it saves time and money. No need for setting up the wash buckets and hoses, no cleaning up the same. No drips to deal with when you are getting ready to polish or wax. The time savings alone would make it beneficial and yes you could do the wheel wells with Spray and Wipe but a small bucket with a brush would work and still not leave any dripping water from any place where you would be polishing or waxing.

Poorboy
09-12-2007, 06:57 PM
oh yeah :hmmm: you do need to have a few more microfiber towels to do the job than you would for just a normal wash ;)

CharlesW
09-12-2007, 07:01 PM
oh yeah :hmmm: you do need to have a few more microfiber towels to do the job than you would for just a normal wash ;)Makes sense.
Any idea where one could find more microfiber towels if they were needed?

Charles

Poorboy
09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Makes sense.

Charles

:rofl :hmmm: :hmmm: I think any one of the fine sponsors of Detail City can be of help :D

Beemerboy
09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Makes sense.

Charles

I buy all my MFT at the dollar stores

Poorboy
09-12-2007, 07:37 PM

that`s where I get mine too:notme:

CharlesW
09-12-2007, 07:51 PM
:rofl :hmmm: :hmmm: I think any one of the fine sponsors of Detail City can be of help :D

that`s where I get mine too:notme:

Interesting.
I didn`t even know the Dollar stores were a sponsor here.

Seriously, we need to be careful here or we will have someone going to the dollar stores buying MF towels.

Charles

Poorboy
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Interesting.
I didn`t even know the Dollar stores were a sponsor here.

Seriously, we need to be careful here or we will have someone going to the dollar stores buying MF towels.

Charles

ok..disclaimer ..I do not get my microfiber from the Dollar Stores :notme:

Troy@Protekt
09-12-2007, 08:04 PM
The washing stage is vital to doing a good job on a professional detail, and pressure washing out all the cracks and crevices insures a clean car IMO.

I use waterless washes as clay lubes and quick detailers for final wipe downs on a job, but I would not consider waterless wash products as replacements for any part of the wash stage of a professional detail.

Having said all that, I use waterless washes and quick detailers on my own vehicles between washes and details all the time and I love them.