PDA

View Full Version : What PB products should be used?

BlizzofOZ
08-27-2003, 09:53 AM
Hello all! New member here with some newbie questions...

Ok, I`ve read through posts here and I`ve decided to use Poorboy`s products for ease of use, lack of time, not picky on sun/shade etc (plus to help out in Steve`s time of need!).

I have a 2002 Dodge Caravan with a light gold/almond color. This is a every day family vehicle. While I have, of course, washed the car I have been hesitant in using waxes/polishes and such. I have had a bad experience with this stuff and know that you can roally mess up your paint job if you don`t konw what you`re doing. But know with the invention of the internet, we can have pros like you willing to spend time to answer questions!

The paint job is in great condition as it is new, I just need some answers on how to proceed with what I have. I do not percieve any swirls or such. Like I said, I would like to use Poorboy`s products. It seems my best bet is to use a polish followed by EX (more than 1 coat too!). Not sure which polish or even if polish is the right way to go. Do I need to wax in-between those products or is EX sealant just needed?

I have other questions on application, but I`ll save that for later.

Thanks so much!

Boss_429
08-27-2003, 10:14 AM
If the paint is in good condition, and there don`t seem to be any swirls, I`d go with Polish with Caranauba, followed by a coat or two of the EX. The PWC should clean the surface nicely.

NattyBumppo
08-27-2003, 10:26 AM
Howdy BlizzOfOzz and welcome to DC! Glad you found our little slice of the web!

Since your Caravan is still in like new condition I would recommend one of the following regiments;

1. Polish w/Carnauba; PWC is a versatile, all in one type product in that it will take care of minor paint imperfections and lay down a good base of protection. It has excellent depth and gloss especially for an all in one (AIO) type product. It has a very strong patented U.V. absorber. Like all of the Poorboys products it can be used in sun or shade, not tempermental where humidity is concerned and is extremely easy to use.

As an AIO product, it cannot be layered.

2. SSR1 and EX; SSR1 is the lightest grade of the Poorboy`s SSR line or swirl removers/polishes. It will remove light spiderwebbing and leave the finish extremely smooth to touch and very glossy. Applying anything over a well prepped SSR1 finish is a joy as the slickness of finish really helps products go on and off much easier.

EX is a final finish sealant that contains both a amino functional resin and a small amount of pure #1 carnauba to aide in depth of shine. It also has U.V. protection, excellent gloss and depth and can be layered applying by hand with damp foam or the included PVC applicator (also damp). Both the EX and SSR1 can also be used in sun or shade and go on/off very easily.

Deciding which route to go depends on how much time you want to invest and what you are looking for. If you want to use one product and get good protection with a very nice look, go with PWC. If you don`t mind investing a little more time and really want to make the finish pop go with plan 2.

I would also recommend picking up a blue (fine grade) Clay Magic bar to use when needed. Claying will really make a major difference in the smoothness of the paint. Sap, brake dust, rail dust and other airborne gnarlys find their way onto the finish and can get embedded making even a newly waxed finish feel bumpy or gritty (albeit shiny). The clay will pull that out of the finish and make it baby smooth. A couple times a year for a full vehicle clay and maybe spot claying every now and then when you fell the need.

Lastly there is Spray and WIpe. Use it as your clay lubricant and also to keep the Caravan looking clean after you spend your time polishing or waxing. It is a waterless wash that when used regulary can eliminate an awful lot of bucket/hose type washes reducing mess, water consumption and most of all, time.

Good luck with the new Caravan and enjoy detailing time. With the right products and a small amount of time it can be fun and rewarding. Break up the inside/outside into an hour or so a day over two days rather than spend all afternoon trying to get the whole shabang done all at once. That will really help to keep it fun and enjoyable rather than becoming a chore.

Boss_429
08-27-2003, 11:09 AM
BlizzofOZ, :yeah

That`s what I meant to say! :D

BlizzofOZ
08-27-2003, 11:18 AM
Thanks Boss & Natty!

I don`t mind spending more time, I just don`t want to mess up the paint.

So, SSR1 is not only a swirl remover but also a polish?

If I don`t have any swirls, should I still use SSR1 or just PWC and EX it?

NattyBumppo
08-27-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by BlizzofOZ
Thanks Boss & Natty!

I don`t mind spending more time, I just don`t want to mess up the paint.

So, SSR1 is not only a swirl remover but also a polish?

If I don`t have any swirls, should I still use SSR1 or just PWC and EX it?

SSR1 is very light duty and safe to use multiple times per year on modern finishes though I doubt you would have to. I use it more as a gloss enhancing polish than a swirl remover. Nice to be able to use one product for both applications though. The difference would be in the type of applicator you choose. To use it just to enhance the finish gloss and slickness apply it with a damp soft foam applicator. If you need to use it to tackle some light swirls use a terry applicator or foam polishing pad or even foam cutting pad.

BlizzofOZ
08-27-2003, 12:53 PM
Natty,

I see... It depends on the type applicator.

Now for applications. For the above products, by hand, how are they best applied on my type of finish? Circular or back and forth or side to side?

Again, thank you very much for taking time to answer!

Boss_429
08-27-2003, 12:55 PM
BlizzofOZ,

Keep in mind one thing with my recommendations.......... if it normally only takes 2 or 3 steps for a good process, I usually end up doing 4 or 5. I`m just anal that way .

Anyhow, given the 3 products you mentioned, I would do all three: SSR1, then a light coat of PWC, then top with a couple light coats of EX (as a matter of fact, I`ll be trying that combo soon).

However, you could go:

SSR1 then PWC,
or
SSR1 then EX,
or
PWC then EX

What the heck, try them all, and see what you like the best! :D

BlizzofOZ
08-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Boss,

I hear ya... doesn`t that apply to everything in life? It`s never easy, if it is, then something is wrong. lol

I guess this is the reason I picked Poorboys as the products seem very versatile. Now that I get the concept, I can experiment. Luckily, I have an older car for this very thing!

Anyway, my last question was on how to apply these products, which I posted previously. I would apprieciate some insight on this.

Thanks again!!!

EBPcivicsi
08-27-2003, 01:34 PM
Natty,

I see... It depends on the type applicator.

Now for applications. For the above products, by hand, how are they best applied on my type of finish? Circular or back and forth or side to side?

Again, thank you very much for taking time to answer!

Some will probably disagree with me, but I think that as long as your pads are clean either way will be fine. I believe that the reason it is suggested to use back and forth motions is so that in the event of some debris finding its way between the pad and the surface, the scratch or swirl that could occur would be less noticeable. Think about it this way, a pc does not go back and forth and it does not swirl, assuming that the pads are clean.

Now washing, I go back and forth, but that is an entirely different conversation. Hope this helps.

NattyBumppo
08-27-2003, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by EBPcivicsi
Some will probably disagree with me, but I think that as long as your pads are clean either way will be fine. I believe that the reason it is suggested to use back and forth motions is so that in the event of some debris finding its way between the pad and the surface, the scratch or swirl that could occur would be less noticeable. Think about it this way, a pc does not go back and forth and it does not swirl, assuming that the pads are clean.

Now washing, I go back and forth, but that is an entirely different conversation. Hope this helps.

I for one would not disagree with you. :) I`ve gone back and forth on this one and the best answer I can give is that it also depends on the product and applicator. I know, this sounds like it is getting even more muddy.

To be on the absolute safest side use straight back and forth when using any product OR applicator that has a bite to it. When I apply Polich w/Carnauba with terry I go straight back and forth (Steve has beaten that into my head enough now) but with foam I don`t think it matters.

Using small tight circular motions with a non-abrasive wax or final finish like EX, P21s, Platinum UPP etc would be fine.

I hope I didn`t create more questions than I answered. EBP made a good point. Hopefully some others will give their opinions on this as well. Good topic.

BTW...Boss` recommendation on PWC then EX is an excellent combo also. You`ll get the patented U.V. absorber and resin topped by the amino functional resin in the EX. I would wait a day before applying the EX over PWC though.

Plenty of choices, all sound pretty darn good to me. And BTW...Boss is definetely NOT one to stop after one, two or even three steps! :)

BlizzofOZ
08-27-2003, 05:10 PM
Thanks to everyone!

I knew that you can end spending a huge amount of time detailing your car, it just depends on how time you have and what you want the end product to look like.

I just needed to know what products are needed for my van. I cut increase/decrease steps as needed.

Hey, if anyone else has input, I`m listening!

Boss_429
08-27-2003, 06:46 PM
Hey, if anyone else has input, I`m listening!

Holy Cow, you need more? :D

Seriously Blizz, take it to whatever level your comfortable with............... and enjoy it!