PDA

View Full Version : Any help for the damage?

Pages : [1] 2

JBahn
09-09-2007, 11:24 AM
Hi guys,

New to the forum and "enthusiast detailing"."

Picked up this Audi not too long ago and as you can tell, the paint has some nasty spots on it. The majority of the paint is in excellent condition, but there are a few spots that look like maybe someone burned through the CC. Perhaps someone will have an idea of what caused this. You can tell in the picture, but in the bad spots there are thousands of little scratches

My questions is, is this repairable/maskable without a complete repaint? If it is maskable, what would you recommend that I use?

When I wax my car, I usually use clay and then Klasse AIO. As you can imagine, it does nothing for this damage.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Brianhttp://webpages.charter.net/jbhahn/Picture%20001.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/jbhahn/Picture.jpg

JBahn
09-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Mods,

Sorry if this is wrong thread. Please feel free to move if there is a more appropriate thread.

Beemerboy
09-09-2007, 11:46 AM
I`m trying to understand where that is on the car...bumper? and is that on plastic by chance?

if the clear coat is failing then there is little that can be done...

JBahn
09-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Sorry, Should have specified that. The damage is on the upper edge of the right-front fender, top of the left rear fender (pictured), and across edges of roof where they meet the door (also pictured)

What is the best way to tell if it is clear coat damage?

I should also mention that I took the car to a detailer yesterday to look at it. He seems really confused about it and honestly I didnt find a whole lot of confidence in his business. He quickly slapped some kind of product on it and ran a rotary over it for a few seconds. It did cover it up a little but not enough. I dont know if a little more work would do any better.

Beemerboy
09-09-2007, 12:04 PM
Sorry, Should have specified that. The damage is on the upper edge of the right-front fender, top of the left rear fender (pictured), and across edges of roof where they meet the door (also pictured)

What is the best way to tell if it is clear coat damage?

I should also mention that I took the car to a detailer yesterday to look at it. He seems really confused about it and honestly I didnt find a whole lot of confidence in his business. He quickly slapped some kind of product on it and ran a rotary over it for a few seconds. It did cover it up a little but not enough. I dont know if a little more work would do any better.

Clear coat failure looks like a burn mark as you have described the area will feel rough to the surface, and have no reflection to speak of...it can be in a specific spot or spots...what causes it can be lack of paint protection to something that happened while the car was painted...its a guessing game...What is encouraging is that the rotary did make a difference...I would suggest that you try to clay those area to see if you can pickup what is on the surface...then take some light cut compound or polish and rub the area...see if anything comes off on the pad...if so you might have gone threw the clear..meaning that you can make the area look OK but it will not come back to look like the rest of the car...What area of the planet do you live in?

Maybe we have a member here that can have a look

JBahn
09-09-2007, 12:07 PM
Thanks for the help.

I am in Birmingham. So if anyone has a recommendation for a good detailer around here I would love to get it.

I will try a little polish later today and see what happens. The surface is still smooth however.

Beemerboy
09-09-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks for the help.

I am in Birmingham. So if anyone has a recommendation for a good detailer around here I would love to get it.

I will try a little polish later today and see what happens. The surface is still smooth however.

If the surface is smooth then that good meaning that the clear is still in-tacked or should be...clay the area and see of something is on the surface...polish will help...but it may require a machine to get heat to remove the spot...good luck with it

JBahn
09-09-2007, 01:24 PM
I tried a little Meguires Polish on a small spot and it actually made it worse. Any thoughts?

Poorboy
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
yes, that looks like clearcoat failure and there`s not much to do other than have it repainted :( :surrender

audiboy
09-09-2007, 08:06 PM
yes, that looks like clearcoat failure and there`s not much to do other than have it repainted :( :surrender

Yeah, I`d have to agree. It makes me sad to see an Audi in bad shape.

JBahn
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Guess it will be something I will have to suck up and get painted. Any suggestions on what to look for in a quality painter? What kinds of questions should I ask, and what is a reasonable price to expect assuming a complete repaint?

Brenton
09-10-2007, 05:21 AM
Woah. Hold the formula one taxi.
Go talk to a detailer in your area that can see the damage. Sure, you might pay $20 for him/her to try buffing and failing, but you might pay $50 and be pleased with the result (I charge my time for trying things. Usually $10 of my time tells me what can be done; often $2-$5 will do it. Buffing is usually $40-$60 per panel).
If it can`t be buffed, that same detailer is a great resource for knowing where to get it painted.

Seriously, your local detailer is there for you. BUying a new car, prepping for selling, emergencies, spills, scratches, dents--utilize that resource. Not that coming on here isn`t important, but diversify your strengths.
brenton

JaredPointer
09-10-2007, 08:38 AM
Check your PMs. For this reason, it`s a good idea to update your profile with your location. I`m close to a Birmingham, just not sure if it`s the same one you`re close to.

JBahn
09-19-2007, 03:25 PM
So here is a quick update.

Took car to indy Audi shop here in Bham. They said the entire car had to be repainted.

So I have just about given up until I came home yesterday and my fiance was out side poking around with it.

She took a bottle of Zymol and was hand applying it. It made an incredible amount of difference in hiding the problems. Is there something in this wax that Klasse does not have?

Any ideas?

Beemerboy
09-19-2007, 03:30 PM
So here is a quick update.

Took car to indy Audi shop here in Bham. They said the entire car had to be repainted.

So I have just about given up until I came home yesterday and my fiance was out side poking around with it.

She took a bottle of Zymol and was hand applying it. It made an incredible amount of difference in hiding the problems. Is there something in this wax that Klasse does not have?

Any ideas?

Klasse is a chemical based cleaner polish it can remove minor imperfection in the paint Zymol is a wax which is add shine, chances are its making the area look better temperately....Sounded like Jared was close to you guys, I would have him look at it and see what he thinks