PDA

View Full Version : I Can Tell You Something Not To Use!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Yesterday the SIL was over and her Ford Explorer was looking pretty shabby....I decided to do the outside only as that was about the only time I had....after I got it washed and clayed...

I decided to try some old product that I had...3M one step cleaner wax, reason that I wanted something that I could do just one pass...didn`t have time for multiple steps ....got the PC out and did the hood and half the side of the car....then went back to remove the residue.....it was liked glued to the surface....I mean really hard to take off....to the point that I had to use S&W to get it to lift...then cleaned up and came back with some P-w-C.

I used 3M for years before I started using PB line....but for some reason I can`t recall it ever being this hard.....this stuff was a nightmare!

Stephan
09-04-2007, 11:41 AM
Could it be that the product was old, and maybe the chemicals had seperated? Maybe shaking it up first.

The only 3m I use is their Imperial hand glaze. And I have always liked that.

I have used products before I discovered PB, Pinnacle etc. that some products were redicously hard to take off and that it was alot of labor to remove them.

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 11:47 AM
no I shook the heck out of it....the color of the product was OK....I either used to much or didn`t work it in enough....I really felt that I had but Dude this stuff was glued to the paint....at one point I used some clay to lift it...but that was messy so I stuck to the S&W

Could it be that the product was old, and maybe the chemicals had seperated? Maybe shaking it up first.

The only 3m I use is their Imperial hand glaze. And I have always liked that.

I have used products before I discovered PB, Pinnacle etc. that some products were redicously hard to take off and that it was alot of labor to remove them.

Stephan
09-04-2007, 11:51 AM
I have one other bottle of 3m stuff sitting in my basement, it maybe the same, I will try it tonight (on my wifes car of course) and let you know what happens.

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 11:53 AM
I have one other bottle of 3m stuff sitting in my basement, it maybe the same, I will try it tonight (on my wifes car of course) and let you know what happens.

The result was very good once I got the residue off...it was getting it off....I was at a point that I was going to wash that area again

Stephan
09-04-2007, 11:56 AM
The result was very good once I got the residue off...it was getting it off....I was at a point that I was going to wash that area again

Thats how I used to have to do it before I started using better stuff. I used to re-wet the area and go over it with a cheese cloth of all things, and that seemed to take it off. I look back at it now and I had alot of cheese cloth that I used for detailing and now I wonder why I ever did.

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 11:59 AM
Thats how I used to have to do it before I started using better stuff. I used to re-wet the area and go over it with a cheese cloth of all things, and that seemed to take it off. I look back at it now and I had alot of cheese cloth that I used for detailing and now I wonder why I ever did.

Cheese cloth was the go to stuff back in the day, it would lift the dust and not scratch the surface....I used it as well:cool:

Pockets
09-04-2007, 04:52 PM
...Dude this stuff was glued to the paint....at one point I used some clay to lift it...but that was messy so I stuck to the S&W

Come on Dave :strong: i think steve just spoiled you with the ez off products lol :rofl

Cheese cloth :hmmm: :crazy: guess im to young :innocent:

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 04:56 PM
Cheese cloth :hmmm: :crazy: guess im to young :innocent:

Your point out the obvious :D:D:D:D

Stephan
09-04-2007, 06:01 PM
And what was funny about the cheese cloth was that it came in these huge sizes...I remember ones that were like bed sheets...they were a pain cause you had to constantly fold them over...maybe I was supposed to cut them smaller...

Poorboy
09-04-2007, 06:52 PM
we used to use a lot of 3m products at our body shop in the 80`s and they were always hard to work with:wall

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 07:13 PM
we used to use a lot of 3m products at our body shop in the 80`s and they were always hard to work with:wall

Before I started working with your stuff I used lots of 3M this one just caught me off guard....I`m just glad that I didn`t do the whole car before I started to remove the residue....I would have re-washed the car....come to think of it the bottle was almost full maybe thats the reason:lmfao

Poorboy
09-04-2007, 07:26 PM
Before I started working with your stuff I used lots of 3M this one just caught me off guard....I`m just glad that I didn`t do the whole car before I started to remove the residue....I would have re-washed the car....come to think of it the bottle was almost full maybe thats the reason:lmfao

they all had their own little application & removal quirks, but we always managed to get good results;)

Beemerboy
09-04-2007, 08:35 PM
they all had their own little application & removal quirks, but we always managed to get good results;)

Once I got the residue off the paint looked great .....I do recall now that`s why I wanted to get away from 3M

vwgtivw
09-04-2007, 09:04 PM
3M one step was my go to product when I use to do used cars, but I always use to work it completely in with a rotary and a wool pad. Man I remember when 3M Perfect-it first foam pad system came out. It gave a nice swirl free finish, but what a pain in the :ass it was to remove.