PDA

View Full Version : 303 too shiny?

CharlesW
09-03-2007, 04:41 PM
Recently I read where someone felt that 303 was too shiny for use on their dash.
When used properly, in other words buffed off rather than just wiped on, I always felt 303 definitely left a matte finish rather than shiny.
What`s your opinion?

Charles

PA DETAILER
09-03-2007, 05:37 PM
i have used 303 for years. great product. again,to my dismay, not avaliable in my area. i feel the finish is just right. i use it for the interior.

distrbd
09-03-2007, 06:00 PM
If a newbie`s opinion is worth anything ,I remember a couple of weeks ago I asked here if Armorall was still good enough for the interior of my car and a few members here recommended I should try 303 ,which I did and I really like it a lot specially because it leaves a "matte" finish.

RTexasF
09-03-2007, 06:13 PM
303 is the only product I will use on a dash both for the matte finish and the very high SPF rating.

CharlesW
09-03-2007, 06:35 PM
If a newbie`s opinion is worth anything
Everyone`s opinion is worth something.
Those opinions that agree with mine are worth even more. :D

distrbd
09-03-2007, 06:43 PM
Everyone`s opinion is worth something.
Those opinions that agree with mine are worth even more. :D
Now I know how to get your support:rofl:rofl
Seriously though 303 is great stuff but I had no idea that buffing it would make a difference .

CharlesW
09-03-2007, 07:32 PM
Seriously though 303 is great stuff but I had no idea that buffing it would make a difference .
The following is from a post I made a long time ago.

Several references have been made to the various buffing processes used. I thought it might be of some benefit to repost the e-mail I received from 303 when I asked about streaking and running.

From 303:
"Some spray 303 on a cloth and wipe it on and, seeing 303`s terrific cosmetics, leave it. Others use the same cloth in wiping a large area and end up not drying, but leaving the treated surface damp with 303. One cannot completely dry a treated area by finishing with a cloth damp with 303. At some point one has
to turn the cloth over to a dry area to finish the drying or go to a
second dry cloth to finish the drying. This is similar to cleaning your glasses, you can`t get the job done with a damp cloth, you have to turn it over to a dry area. By the way, 303 A. Protectant will NOT air dry.

These folks leave unabsorbed, un-bonded excess 303 polymer on the surface. This excess polymer after the water evaporates out retains a dampness. Though the treated surface may look great, it has little repellency and dust will stick to it. And when it rains this "washes off" and will streak surfaces below. Typically where 303 receives the most calls about this has to do with tonneau covers.

If the product is applied according to directions, sprayed on and wiped completely dry, it leaves a super repellent finish (to dirt, dust, tree sap, bird droppings) and LASTS LONGER. It will NOT wash off onto other surfaces.
Anyone can easily see this for themselves by treating a piece of vinyl, formica, stainless steel sink, gelcoat fiberglass, the EPDM rubber seals used on car doors and trunks, etc.

FYI, a little extra enthusiasm in the drying/buffing of the treated
surface with a DRY cloth causes the surface to become even more repellent and to last even longer.

Here`s a link to more info about the vinyl application, once here click on and read the "blue" brochure. For even more information on vinyl, click on and read Tech Facts Vol. II - Vinyl (same page):
303 Products - World`s Leading Automotive Care Products (http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=techfacts)

Tires....tires are more absorbent, application a little different. On
the above link, click on and read: Tech Facts Vol. 1 - Why Are Tires Black?.
At the bottom of this volume, you`ll find Tips For Tires, goes into
proper application for treating tires to protectant against warranty sidewall failure, for maximum and longest lasting cosmetic effects."

303 is not a spray on and wipe product. It is supposed to be buffed off for best results.
If you go to the link in that post, you will find a lot of information about how to use it correctly.

Charles

vwgtivw
09-03-2007, 09:02 PM
i have used 303 for years. great product. again,to my dismay, not avaliable in my area. i feel the finish is just right. i use it for the interior.

Napa can order 303 for you.
I used 303 for the first time this week on the tonneau cover of my friends new truck ( he owns a Napa store ) and I like the look very close to PBs NL.

distrbd
09-03-2007, 09:12 PM
Thank you Charles W for the link.I book marked it for future reference.

Sparkie
09-04-2007, 04:09 AM
You can also try Klasse Vinyl, Leather, Rubber & Plastic-Cleaner/Protectant. Now this stuff is matte.

CharlesW
09-04-2007, 06:34 AM
You can also try Klasse Vinyl, Leather, Rubber & Plastic-Cleaner/Protectant. Now this stuff is matte.I do have the Klasse VLRP, but am really only interested in the question about the glossy/shiny look of 303 right now.

FWIW, the Autgeek description of the Klasse protectant doesn`t give the impression of a matte finish at all.

Cleans and Protects. Sometimes it is better to simplify, especially when you’re on the go. Simply wipe this 100% silicone free product onto one of the recommended surfaces with your Cobra Microfiber Applicator Pad. With one application, you will have cleaned and applied a semi-gloss finish, with a UV filter, onto the surface. There is no greasy residue left and the product will not collect on interior glass. The semi-gloss finish will last 2-3 months
The color highlight is mine.
That description tended to make me think the Klasse would have a semi-gloss finish. :confused:

Charles

JoeB
10-07-2007, 01:05 PM
I`ve used 303 for years.
Satin shine.
Great stuff.