PDA

View Full Version : What is your buffing process?

96TexasZ
08-29-2007, 05:51 PM
Do you buff one area at a time? or do you buff the whole car, then change pads and or polish? Which is better if any?

Pockets
08-29-2007, 06:05 PM
I like to buff the whole car then polish the car and then wax the whole car if i do it panel by panel it is very time consuming changing pads and product and it might get confusing lol. there is no WRONG way of doing it unless you screw up the paint :huh:. Cool thread :rockon

96TexasZ
08-29-2007, 06:22 PM
that is how i am currently doing it but was just wondering if there was a better way

jaybs02
08-29-2007, 06:35 PM
I complete one process on the entire car before moving onto the next step.

Other than testing on section I cant see the benefit of switching back and forth.

"J"

Beemerboy
08-29-2007, 06:40 PM
I complete one process before going to a new process/product...however for control I work in panels and clean them as I go to make sure that I have completed what I am trying to accomplish. I find that if I polish the whole car there are some areas that I might have missed and have to go back and do again

Brenton
08-29-2007, 06:55 PM
Depends for me on the goal.
If it is scratch repair, I do it panel by panel. With the Edge pad system, popping pads off is not tough. If I`m doing a certain stage (2, 3, 4), I do each stage then move on.

Jngrbrdman
08-29-2007, 07:41 PM
I typically start with a fender or half the hood so I can get the combination of pad and product just right. Once I know how long I have to work the product with the particular damage that the vehicle has, then I can tackle the rest of the car without necessarily stopping every panel to check my process. I always suggest to new detailers that they stop and check their progress after each panel, but that is because they may not be as comfortable with the process as I am. Once I know how long it is going to take to get a job done then I really don`t need to stop too often to check things out. I may wipe off a stretch to see if the swirls are still coming out, or if I am dealing with aftermarket painted panels then I know the process might need to change a bit, but for the most part I can evaluate what needs to be done to get results on the first panel and then buzz through the rest of the car without a problem.

Troy@Protekt
08-29-2007, 07:45 PM
I can`t think of any situation where you would want to buff, polish and protect one section before moving on to the next.

I always want to be as efficient as possible so I do all my buffing then all my polishing. After those two, I clean up any sling and treat the trim. Finishing with a LSP which, depending on what you are using, might be applied and removed section at a time or applied to the entire car and allowed to cure before removing it.

96TexasZ
08-29-2007, 09:06 PM
thanks that helps alot

Poorboy
08-29-2007, 10:15 PM
I complete one process before going to a new process/product...however for control I work in panels and clean them as I go to make sure that I have completed what I am trying to accomplish. I find that if I polish the whole car there are some areas that I might have missed and have to go back and do again
Sounds about right to me :rockon

Beemerboy
08-29-2007, 10:17 PM
Sounds about right to me :rockon

Thanks Steve

Poorboy
08-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks Steve

no problem ;) I usually find areas on the second look around that might need an extra pass ...many people assume that once you do an area it`s time to move on, but on second inspection or viewed from another angle, there might be more to do :wow:

Beemerboy
08-29-2007, 10:24 PM
no problem ;) I usually find areas on the second look around that might need an extra pass ...many people assume that once you do an area it`s time to move on, but on second inspection or viewed from another angle, there might be more to do :wow:

The very reason that I do one panel at a time...seems like it can take a bit longer but I am looking for the best results

Poorboy
08-29-2007, 10:31 PM
I typically start with a fender or half the hood so I can get the combination of pad and product just right. Once I know how long I have to work the product with the particular damage that the vehicle has, then I can tackle the rest of the car without necessarily stopping every panel to check my process. I always suggest to new detailers that they stop and check their progress after each panel, but that is because they may not be as comfortable with the process as I am. Once I know how long it is going to take to get a job done then I really don`t need to stop too often to check things out. I may wipe off a stretch to see if the swirls are still coming out, or if I am dealing with aftermarket painted panels then I know the process might need to change a bit, but for the most part I can evaluate what needs to be done to get results on the first panel and then buzz through the rest of the car without a problem.

The very reason that I do one panel at a time...seems like it can take a bit longer but I am looking for the best results

exactly ..just like Anthony said ..if you figure out one panel and the process you need to repair the panel the rest of the vehicle should be much easier and go smooother ;)