PDA

View Full Version : How are things?

Troy@Protekt
08-24-2007, 08:10 PM
Anyone noticing a slow down in the economy?

Are you doing as well or better than you were this time last year?

For those of you in the U.S. Do you think our economy will get better or worse in the next year or two?

The housing market has definitely given Sheila and I some disappointment. We were planning to sell our house soon. Now we are going to have to wait.:(

Just curious what your views are.

audiboy
08-24-2007, 08:23 PM
I`m doing just as well as I was last year. I haven`t made any rank lately, so I`m just getting the annual raise that we get every year. This coming year is supposed to be a bigger one for us than the last few years. I definitely think the economy will continue to grow. We are never going to run out of consumers and they are never going to be self sufficient. It may not increase exponentially, but it will continue to grow.

We are experiencing a buyers market here as well along the lines of housing. I heard lately that Florida has recently hit its` shelf and it`s just going to be tough to sell any home in most areas. You can only be in a sellers market for so long before you go into a slump for a while.

GearHead_1
08-24-2007, 09:55 PM
I`m doing O.K. I sold a good deal of property about 1 year ago. The real estate market was booming in Utah about this time. It`s definitely taken a nose dive. There is prime property all around me and it isn`t moving. I feel very blessed.

Poorboy
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
the shows are a bit slow for many vendors, but it doesn`t seem to be effecting me too much :hmmm:

cwcad
08-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Housing around my neighborhood is slowing down a bit. The house next door to me has been for sale for 18 months with no one in it. Sales around the neighborhood are slow as well. But new people show up every day. Not sure if they are buying or leasing.

I thank God every day for my family. My wife especially, for seeing me thru these last eight months of treatments. I am also lucky to have retirements from two unions that will supply me with an adequate living for the rest of my life.

But if I were working I would be really worried about the credit crunch going around the world at this time. When big banks start failing or need an influx of cash because they loaned out money to to many people that cannot pay it back it will all come back to the majority of people that work for a middle income wage.

I know that the company that I worked for for 16 years has half the contracts this year that they had the last year that I worked. So if I had not got sick I would be sucking wind around this time working on only half the budget of last year.

Jngrbrdman
08-24-2007, 10:45 PM
All I know is that I couldn`t afford my house right now if I were to buy it again. The houses around me are selling for about a hundred grand or more above what we paid three years ago. Life hasn`t gotten any cheaper though. Jennifer went back to work in June, so that took a lot of pressure off of me. I was able to slow down the detailing and take a break. I am only 31 years old and I`ve been diagnosed with artheritis and tendonitis in both my knees, so detailing is definitely not in my future for retirement. Luckily I`ve got a good day job. :)

LikeaRock
08-25-2007, 01:28 AM
Meh... I`m going on 20 here in a few short weeks, I`m moving out, I seem to have more than an acceptable amount of work coming to me, I guess I can`t complain :redface:
I`m young, in that confused stage of figuring my life out, but then I think "Well, that`s what your 20`s are for, right?" :)

housing doesn`t effect me really, but it`s definitely slowed down around here. 2 years ago my neighbors paid a little over $800k for their house. Now they`d be lucky to get 625.

but yeah, life ain`t too bad, I don`t really have much to complain about ;)

But nagging on about the little %#!^ that pisses you off every day, don`t get me started :wow::notme:

Stephan
08-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Well the housing market is terrible everywhere I think. At least it is around me, we have alot of developments that were started and now are just sitting there.

I am not sure how it is for everyone else but here in CT its gotten unbearable to live in, meaning its just so expensive. I would like to think I could stay here...but I begin to wonder sometimes.

Brace1
08-25-2007, 09:00 PM
The housing market here in south FL is still tanking, although 2 years ago this was one of the fastest growing markets in the US. There are SOOO many foreclosures (including brand new houses that people planned on flipping) and vacant homes around here.

My next door neighbor worked for a drywall company that recently laid off many people including him and he just had his house foreclosed on: the ripple effect of the slowed construction market. He paid nearly $200K for his little frame home that is worth about $120K now in just over a year, so he couldn`t refinance and had to give up the house. A great neighbor too, so I`m bummed:(

Of the 6 houses close to me on my block, 5 of them are vacant (2 of those were foreclosures). My real estate taxes went up; based on an assessed value increase although the market value dropped. I also have a rental property down in Broward county where the assessed value went up $25K despite the market tanking there too:wall . Supposedly the tax appraiser`s office will do a "sales analysis" for me in the hopes of reducing my assessed value.:surrender

Fortunately I`m gainfully employed and have been at the same employer for 20 years now so employment seems fairly stable (although you know how that goes).

rayoto
08-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Anyone noticing a slow down in the economy?

Are you doing as well or better than you were this time last year?

For those of you in the U.S. Do you think our economy will get better or worse in the next year or two?

The housing market has definitely given Sheila and I some disappointment. We were planning to sell our house soon. Now we are going to have to wait.:(

Just curious what your views are.

Being in the legal field we have noticed a huge boost in the litigation and bankruptcy arena....I don`t say this with any pride...trust me. It really is a terrible picture when this sort of thing begins to happen.

I really can`t comment on detailing business growth/decline...I`m still trying to build the business.

As far as the economy overall I feel that Americans will do what Americans have always done by being persistent in thier efforts to overcome this slump.

As far as the housing market...I feel your pain man..We were trying to sell ours as well, but we took it off the market for now. Like you say..it`s a great time to buy...bad time to sell.

Ray;)

Bellydawg
08-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Well the Houston economy is still in high gear due to oil prices. If those start dropping, I expect to see layoffs and a downturn in the market yet I`m not sure of what that price break will be.

They are still building houses all around in which it appears no let up is in site. I know from reading in the paper that used home sales are down in the area from a year ago. A lot of the places that use high school kids for labor are having problems filling positions.

The prices for housing here has shown a steady increase but no where near the crazy prices seen in FL, CA and NV.

Beemerboy
08-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Sonoma County seems to be doing OK the housing market is taking a hit..foreclosures are at a real high...Our biggest industry is grapes and every indicator is that this was a good year for them.

My weekend detailing is off somewhat but thats because I stopped looking for new business...

jlift
08-27-2007, 11:46 AM
TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a Tiny URL (http://preview.tinyurl.com/326veu)

ABout says it. Recession good for some (who have jobs, money) bad for others (who don`t have jobs, money).

I work for the government, so I guess I got a job.;)

Stephan
08-27-2007, 12:19 PM
My weekend detailing is off somewhat but thats because I stopped looking for new business...

I have done the same, I do my usuals and take in referals.

gator1
08-28-2007, 06:06 AM
My business has been slowed by %20 people who usually get their cars detailed are holding on to their money right now.