PDA

View Full Version : New TabletPC at last...

Jngrbrdman
08-12-2007, 02:49 PM
I`ve been working on the same TabletPC since nearly the time that they came out. I bought a TC1000 back in 2001 I believe it was and I`ve been using it without problem ever since. Well, relatively without problem. The TC1000 uses finepoint technology in their pen, so replacing it is a bugger. I`m forced to shell out nearly a hundred bucks everytime one freaks out or gets lost. I`m on my third one right now and that is the last one I`ll buy. It was also not the greatest by way of computing power. The processor is a 1.0GHz Transmeta Crusoe TM5800 and it only came with 256 MB of RAM. I expanded it to 512, but it will only take another 256 even if I wanted to give it more. So it works, but forget about playing games on it or having more than two programs open at once. I have loved using it as a terrific portable laptop with wireless internet when I needed it out in the garage. It also came in super handy when I was in college and later as an instructor. Anyone who has used a tablet knows how great they are and how addicting it can be to have the functionality of one.

Well, after many years of good use I think it is time to hang it up and get a new one. I went shopping for a new one that had the features I wanted and I decided on a Gateway C-140x. It has a much better speed with the Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7100 (1.80GHz, 800MHz, 2MB L2). It has 2gig of RAM too, so having photoshop open along with dreamweaver or another high memory program won`t be a problem. The other thing it has over the TC1000 is the screen size. The TC1000 only has a 10 inch screen, which made for great portability, but not great for other things. The c-140x has a 14" screen that will be a welcome upgrade. It also has the coolest thing. It has a fingerprint reader so I don`t have to type in passwords. I just save them in a particular place and then whenever I get to a page asking me for a password I just swipe my finger across the reader and it enters it for me. How sweet is that? My HP has a signature password on the Windows startup screen, but the fingerprint thing is just so much cooler. I got the whole thing for $1240 out the door, so I was pretty happy with that. I sold my TC1000 with the software I had installed on it for $500, so that took the edge off the cost.

Anyway, I`m super excited so I thought I`d share for my techno geek friends out there. :) I`ve never had a Gateway before, so I`m not sure what to expect. I won`t have the computer till the first of September since there is a shortage in the industry of the glass they use for the screens, so I`ll have to wait a bit. If anyone has had any experience with Gateway tablets or anything else that would come in handy then feel free to pipe up. :)

Here is some info on the tablets I`ve used and am going to use.

TC1000 I`m going from. (http://pencomputing.com/frames/tpc_compaq.htm)
C140-x that I`m going to. (http://www.gateway.com/systems/product/529666090.php)

cwcad
08-12-2007, 03:26 PM
Congratulations on the new purchase!! I love getting new tech to use. I hope that the new purchase serves you as well as the old one did.

My wife tells me that your model is made by Motion computer and sold to Gateway without all the extra more expensive stuff. I am not sure what the Motion computers have over the Gateway computer but I can tell you it cost a lot more than 1200.00 dollars.:mad::wall She thought that you would be most satisfied with the purchase and should serve you well according to her.

Jngrbrdman
08-12-2007, 03:40 PM
I hope so. I was sort of torn between this one and the C-120x. That one has a 12" screen, but it is also touch enabled as well as WACOM enabled. So it acts like a PDA and responds to finger touch as well as having the enhanced Tablet features. It didn`t have some of the stock features of the C-140x though. The processor, RAM, HD, even CD drives would have had to be upgraded to equal the stock form of the C-140x. It wasn`t a feature I really needed, and since I`ve never used one like that before, I doubt I`ll miss it. What I will enjoy is designing on a screen larger than 10 inches. lol I`ve just got to say that it really really sucks.

SCDetail
08-12-2007, 05:54 PM
We us the Fujitsu LifeBooks at work and they are great!! We us the smallest version with a 10" screen and a full key board (screen turns 180 degrees and folds down). I agree with you about the fingerprint reader, it is cool.:yay

SCDetail

GearHead_1
08-13-2007, 12:11 PM
Jngrbrdman gets more new toys than anyone I know. ;) What a lucky guy.