PDA

View Full Version : Detailed my first celebrity today

Pages : [1] 2

Jngrbrdman
08-11-2007, 10:06 PM
I feel stupid that I didn`t put 1 and 1 together sooner. This guy is the one who turned me on to the S65 guy last month. I`ve been talking with him back and forth since early this year. He said he was moving out here in July and he needed an obsessive detailer. He moved here from Seattle, so I really don`t know how he found me. My guess is that he was on Yahoo looking for Salt Lake City detailers and found me that way. Anyway, I only knew his name was Apolo and didn`t know the last name. Then earlier this week he emailed me and said he was in town and would like me to come over and get his LX450 back into shape. His other emails just had his email address showing, but this one had his name. Apolo Ohno. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apolo_Ohno) The name rang a bell for some reason, but I didn`t figure it out until I saw him. This is the Olympic gold medalist short track speed skater Apolo Ohno. The one that won Dancing with the Stars earlier this year. I actually watched him win in `02 out here. Of all the details not to bring my camera!!!! I figured it was a clean Lexus to start with and it was white to boot, so what good would taking pictures really do anybody? Sheesh!! I felt dumb that I`ve been emailing him back and forth for six months and I never realized it. lol Kinda funny. He is a really nice guy and he has some friends with very high end cars. I`m glad that he liked my work because after I was done he said he had done some calling around to his buddies and I should be expecting some business very soon. One of his friends has an Enzo that Apolo doesn`t even think he has ever driven. So more super cars may be coming my way. :) Still, it`s my first real celebrity detail, so I thought it was worthy of mention. :10:

cwcad
08-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Great news!!

Hope that Appollo sends all the business you can handle.

Reminder.....Start carrying your camera ....Everywhere!!!!

audiboy
08-11-2007, 10:32 PM
Congrats on the detail! I`ve never really heard much negative about him and would expect him to be a pretty neat person to meet. I`m a big sports guy and would love to talk to a few more gold medalists. It`s really cool that he liked the results and that he`ll be mentioning you to a bunch of his friends. It sounds like a golden opportunity that you took advantage of.

Jngrbrdman
08-14-2007, 08:04 PM
His fans are certianly cool enough. I guess you can never underestimate the power of the internet. I had someone from Chicago call me after finding this post while looking for news on Apolo Ohno. lol I think DC is going to be getting some traffic from a fan site for awhile. :)

Dear Apolo Ohno Fans,

While you are here you should look around and stay awhile. There is tons of information here on detailing cars that will help you keep them nice and clean! When Apolo looks for the best detailers, he comes to detailers from Detail City! Maybe not the advertising he intended to give, but it is still the truth. ;)

hooked
08-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Cool! Did you offer to polish up his Olympic Medals too?

Jngrbrdman
08-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Hey, that`s not a bad idea. :) I`m going to have to ask him about that the next time I see him. I`m going back to drop off some cards in another week or so. I`ll hit him up and see what he thinks. What would be the best thing to use on gold, silver, and bronze medals?

nikro000
08-14-2007, 09:43 PM
Congrats Jngbrdman! That`s very exciting!!!:bigups

audiboy
08-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Hey, that`s not a bad idea. :) I`m going to have to ask him about that the next time I see him. I`m going back to drop off some cards in another week or so. I`ll hit him up and see what he thinks. What would be the best thing to use on gold, silver, and bronze medals?

I honestly wouldn`t even bring it up. Some things can`t be replaced.

Jngrbrdman
08-14-2007, 10:26 PM
He`s got somewhere around 25 medals anyway. I`d rather polish Ferraris than jewelry. ;)

Sheila@detailcity
08-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Neat! I watched him win the medals as well. As far as the emails back and forth...he probably liked that you didn`t seem to realize who he was and treated him like a normal person. That`s my guess, anyway. Hope you get some more business from it!

Beemerboy
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Great find and the back lash of cars that can come from that can be wonderful

p_dubs
09-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Just curious, did he tip well? I work with many sport figures and I`ve come to the conclusion that they`re used to receiving just about everything for free.

Pander5
09-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Hey, that`s not a bad idea. :) What would be the best thing to use on gold, silver, and bronze medals?

Champagne.

That`s really cool. I must admit he was lost in my memory since the Olympics but loved him during the games. Sounds like a cool guy, too. Have fun jngr.

southerndetail
09-09-2007, 09:19 AM
Just curious, did he tip well? I work with many sport figures and I`ve come to the conclusion that they`re used to receiving just about everything for free.
2nd that,
I detail(caution name drop coming) Tony Womacks vehicles, sometimes twice a week and am yet to see anything over the amount that I charge. I guess I can`t complain because for some reason he gets all the new Mothers products, for free and lets me use them.:rockon

Jngrbrdman
09-09-2007, 01:32 PM
After all the business he has generated for me, it should be ME tipping HIM. I did do a freebie for him when I saw his car parked at a friend`s house. I washed and waxed it for him after I did the other guy`s cars. Apolo`s referals have generated probably about a thousand dollars worth of business for me this summer and that isn`t going to go away anytime soon, so I figure I owe him.