PDA

View Full Version : Should I use SSR3

vindaloo
08-26-2003, 09:23 AM
I have used DACP a couple of times with Megs maroon pad, but still have some scratches, although swirls no longer in evidence. The paint is a non-clearcoat.
My question is - is it safe to try SSR3 with my PC or am I risking taking off too much paint as I have already DACP`d twice?

rhillstr
08-26-2003, 09:36 AM
You ask a tough question as it`s impossible to tell how thick you paint is. The question you have to ask is: How bad do I want those scratches out? You may wish to work an area by hand with SSR3 that is inconspicuous and see if you can remove or reduce the scratch without seeing the paint fade (it fades as the paint thins out and primer underneath comes through. It`s all about knowing when to say when and leave well enough alone because if you do hit the whole thing with ssr3 or something even stronger you leave less paint to buff the swirls off of next time (and they will come back....).

Cheers
:beer

-Rob

vindaloo
08-26-2003, 09:57 AM
Point taken, it only seems to be me that`s fussy enough to see the scratches, everyone else thinks the car looks new, not almost 6 years old. Probably best to leave well alone & carry on with the once every 6-12 months of swirl removal.
Thanks for the advice

Thomasfl
08-26-2003, 10:03 AM
from my experience with SSR3, it is more aggresive than DACP. I have only had to use it a few times, usually just go for the DACP on tough surfaces.

NattyBumppo
08-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by rhillstr
You ask a tough question as it`s impossible to tell how thick you paint is. The question you have to ask is: How bad do I want those scratches out? You may wish to work an area by hand with SSR3 that is inconspicuous and see if you can remove or reduce the scratch without seeing the paint fade (it fades as the paint thins out and primer underneath comes through. It`s all about knowing when to say when and leave well enough alone because if you do hit the whole thing with ssr3 or something even stronger you leave less paint to buff the swirls off of next time (and they will come back....).

Cheers
:beer

-Rob

Great advice!

Natty