PDA

View Full Version : Got Wax?

Pages : [1] 2

Troy@Protekt
08-07-2007, 05:05 PM
I would like to know your methods for determining whether a car has any protection on it.

I will rub with my finger and listen for a squeek.

What do you do to tell?

:dcrules

nikro000
08-07-2007, 05:08 PM
Water beading - the only thing I know

Troy@Protekt
08-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Water beading - the only thing I know

Not the best way. Water beading can be a sign if it`s your car and you can tell the difference in beading from before you applied your lsp.

Cars with no protection will bead too especially when the paint has been cleaned. If you use a polish that has no protection in it, you will get some nice beading too but no protection.

In fact some one-steps can decieve you if you use the water beading to determine whether it needs another coat. They do a good job of cleaning the paint but leave minimal protection behind which will wear off but your paint will still bead after it`s gone.

CharlesW
08-07-2007, 05:24 PM

Only once on my paint.
Then you would have a broken finger. :D

Since I only wax my own cars, I just do it every 4 to 6 weeks and there is no doubt in my mind.

Charles

distrbd
08-07-2007, 05:36 PM
I would like to know your methods for determining whether a car has any protection on it.

What do you do to tell?

:dcrules

Troy,a master detailer such as yourself would take one look at a car and can tell if it has any wax on it or not.:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow
I remember Steve(PB) mentioned a pad dampened with alcohol would remove any wax off the paint ,so I`m thinking if the pad is white ,wouldn`t it show any trace of wax on it?Just a thought:confused:

Troy@Protekt
08-07-2007, 05:37 PM
Only once on my paint.
Then you would have a broken finger. :D

Since I only wax my own cars, I just do it every 4 to 6 weeks and there is no doubt in my mind.

Charles

My finger is non-abrasive.:redface:

I guess I need to clarify. I rub my finger on the paint after it is clean (finger and paint). ;)

Troy@Protekt
08-07-2007, 05:42 PM
Troy,a master detailer such as yourself would take one look at a car and can tell if it has any wax on it or not.:bow:bow:bow:bow:bow
I remember Steve(PB) mentioned a pad dampened with alcohol would remove any wax off the paint ,so I`m thinking if the pad is white ,wouldn`t it show any trace of wax on it?Just a thought:confused:

Well I guess that`s the point I am trying to make. A pro will not determine whether a car has protection on it by just looking at it. But thanks for feeding my ego.;)

The alcohol method is good for getting a good look at the condition your paint is in. I`m referring to when someone asks me if their car needs to be "waxed". You don`t want to go up to their car and wipe it with alcohol to tell.:rofl The answer would always be "yes, atleast the part where I just took it off.":crazy2:

Beemerboy
08-07-2007, 05:46 PM
I run the back of my fingers over the finish to see how it feels, if my fingers are grabbing the surface, it feels feel rough or they don`t glide easy... that`s one way I determine protection...Next for me is what dose the over all finish look like....a million swirls, dull looking clear, hazy looking finish...All point to me that the car has little or no protection on the surface.

Of course these are all just guide lines for me but I can usually look at a car and see if its cared for on any regular basis

nikro000
08-07-2007, 05:49 PM
Not the best way. Water beading can be a sign if it`s your car and you can tell the difference in beading from before you applied your lsp.

Cars with no protection will bead too especially when the paint has been cleaned. If you use a polish that has no protection in it, you will get some nice beading too but no protection.

In fact some one-steps can decieve you if you use the water beading to determine whether it needs another coat. They do a good job of cleaning the paint but leave minimal protection behind which will wear off but your paint will still bead after it`s gone.

Well thanks Troy - I didn;t know that!!!

Stephan
08-07-2007, 07:31 PM
I run the back of my fingers over the finish to see how it feels, if my fingers are grabbing the surface, it feels feel rough or they don`t glide easy... that`s one way I determine protection...Next for me is what dose the over all finish look like....a million swirls, dull looking clear, hazy looking finish...All point to me that the car has little or no protection on the surface.

Of course these are all just guide lines for me but I can usually look at a car and see if its cared for on any regular basis

I do the same as the front of my fingers have alot of oil, and will leave a mark.

Beemerboy
08-07-2007, 07:35 PM
I do the same as the front of my fingers have alot of oil, and will leave a mark.

My father taught me that one, the back of your hand is more sensitive, so you can feel the smoothness of the paint

Pockets
08-07-2007, 08:01 PM
Is there really a deffinate way to tell this. Could you trust just asking the person "have you ever waxed the car?" i wouldn`t (only because they think a coat of wax without cleaning the car is protecting it lol)

customer "o cool a cleaner wax"
chris :crazy::crazy::passout:

I too use the back of my fingers (guess i picked it up from steve)

Brenton
08-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Wax it again. Then I know for sure.

Troy@Protekt
08-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I`m trying to remember where I first heard to listen for a squeek. I believe it was someone at Meguiars or a trade magazine years ago that said use a folded 100% cotton terry towel and rub it over the finish. If it squeeked there was no protection. This was before microfiber.

I`ve always just been in the habit of using my finger making sure it is not oily, dirty or sweaty.

Stephan
08-08-2007, 04:52 AM
Wax it again. Then I know for sure.

Thats one of my problems...I do this alot..I have so many coats on my Murano right now I don`t even know if they do anything anymore...I wash the car...get bored and then I wax it...