PDA

View Full Version : burnt

Pages : [1] 2

southerndetail
07-30-2007, 07:01 PM
So today I burnt the paint on a black Morano, I have been detailing for 8 years now and the last time I did this was in high school in auto body class. I feel like a complete idiot not only was it basically at eye level it was for the owner of the largest diamond dealer in Charlotte. :wall Its going to cost $200 to get fixed, I`m so embarrassed so get your jabs in while you can I deserve it.

Stephan
07-30-2007, 07:18 PM
No one here should jab you because it happens to all of us at some time or another...we make mistakes...we are only human...thats all any one can say.

And as a owner of a Murano, at least for me it has incredibly soft paint, and any time I use a rotary I have to use the least agressive polish along with essentially a finishing pad.

Not sure that helps at all but I understand the Murano paint...I am sure Dave can chime in on this as well...(Also a Murano owner)

audiboy
07-30-2007, 07:28 PM
The only thing you can do is learn from your mistake and move on. There is no need to dwell on it. It`s getting fixed and I`m sure that your reputation won`t be hurt at all. From what I`ve seen, you do some exceptional work.

cwcad
07-30-2007, 09:16 PM
There are only two types of detalers. There are those who have burned paint and those that will burn paint. Do not be so hard on your yourself.
Remember it is worth what it costs. In this case ...$200.00. No paultry sum!!!

BlueZero
07-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Don`t feel bad, mistakes happen. Learn from it and move on. Heck, I hope I can go that long with out burning paint (I haven`t gotten a rotary yet).

nikro000
07-30-2007, 10:10 PM
So today I burnt the paint on a black Morano, I have been detailing for 8 years now and the last time I did this was in high school in auto body class. I feel like a complete idiot not only was it basically at eye level it was for the owner of the largest diamond dealer in Charlotte. :wall Its going to cost $200 to get fixed, I`m so embarrassed so get your jabs in while you can I deserve it.

Ok, I don`t want you to think I want to rub your nose in it, but I will own a pc at some point (never used one) and I need to learn: so my question is - how exactly did that happen???:confused:

Clean Dean
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
My first year detailing by the seat of my pants I must have burnt at least one edge on every older car I detailed !!! It happens to everyone, and at $200 its not that bad of hit (could be worse). Imagine cutting through on a rare collectible.

audiboy
07-30-2007, 10:28 PM
Ok, I don`t want you to think I want to rub your nose in it, but I will own a pc at some point (never used one) and I need to learn: so my question is - how exactly did that happen???:confused:

I`m guessing that he did the damage with a rotary. You`d have to work at it really hard to burn the finish with a PC.

southerndetail
07-31-2007, 06:48 AM
I was concentrating on a piece around the rear hatch window not paying attention to the ridge that was under the middle of my pad, also the entire thing had already been worked before.

Poorboy
07-31-2007, 09:28 AM
do you carry insurance? i know it would probably be below a deductable, but it`s a good lesson for those out there (Pockets ;) ) who don`t understand that there are risks involved ..yes it could have been worse and it`s just an event to move on from :cool:

GearHead_1
07-31-2007, 11:00 AM
I`m sure you already know this but you really can`t call it a mistake unless you choose not to learn from the experience. ;)

Beemerboy
07-31-2007, 12:06 PM
One of those painful learning experiences that our Dad`s told us about:D

Can you tell us what pad, product and speed of the rotary?

I have not burnt threw any CC finishes (knocks on wood) single stage is another story.

Thanks and sorry to hear about what happened to you:cheers:

southerndetail
07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
foam cutting pad
Medium cut compound
1100 rpm

Beemerboy
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
foam cutting pad
Medium cut compound
1100 rpm

Thanks I own a Murano just good knowledge to understand....

nikro000
07-31-2007, 02:53 PM
I was concentrating on a piece around the rear hatch window not paying attention to the ridge that was under the middle of my pad, also the entire thing had already been worked before.

Thanks for the info! We all feel your pain!:(