PDA

View Full Version : Painting plastic grills

2drtahoez71
07-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Im looking for a matte black trim paint for plastic the plastic kidney grills on my bmw. Is this the right type of paint for the job?
Wurth Flexible Trim Paint (http://www.autogeek.net/wufltrpa.html)

I cant tell if this is soley for "restoring" already black trim, or if it will paint the surface completely black.

Also "satin" and "matte" are the same thing, correct?

These are the grills im talking about:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b31/jettacoupe69/carlos%20pics/IMG_0111.jpg

Beemerboy
07-23-2007, 07:59 PM
Buy the black grill on ebay....you could paint yours but getting the paint to stick and stay on the chromed plastic is not going to be easy....be sides you have a very expensive ride...don`t cheap out on the grill

Stephan
07-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Buy the black grill on ebay....you could paint yours but getting the paint to stick and stay on the chromed plastic is not going to be easy....be sides you have a very expensive ride...don`t cheap out on the grill

agreed...thats a nice looking ride you got there and the chrome looks great...I would think you would have to sand down the plastic a bit in order for the paint to stick...if they do make a black grill replacement, buy it put it on, and if you don`t like it you can always put the old one back.

Poorboy
07-23-2007, 09:12 PM
agreed here too ...besides that, the grill is going to chip easily and quickly and it probably won`t look good for very long...should you decide to go forward, then take them off and bring them to a reputible body shop and let them paint them in a booth where no dust or dirt might get trapped in the paint :)

2drtahoez71
07-23-2007, 09:31 PM
well, problem is

1. there are no aftermarket matte black grills for the e92 (2007+ coupe)
2. no paint shop will paint them (already tried...claim they will chip)

plenty of guys have painted theirs, and still look great with plenty of miles on them, and I plan on sanding with 400 grit and cleaning beforehand, i just want to find the best paint for this application. im sure they will chip, but my front bumper is chipped some too, so they will match lol.

thanks for all the suggestions:D

Beemerboy
07-24-2007, 08:45 AM
well, problem is

plenty of guys have painted theirs, and still look great with plenty of miles on them, and I plan on sanding with 400 grit and cleaning beforehand, i just want to find the best paint for this application. im sure they will chip, but my front bumper is chipped some too, so they will match lol.

Have a look at this site...i post there might be some that have some ideas for you

bimmerfest - BMW Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/)

Here is a step by step on how to do this...apears that some have the same idea as you

DIY - blackout "shadow" (black) kidney grills - BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum - E90Post.com (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3830)

Poorboy
07-24-2007, 09:19 AM
well, problem is

then i would go to a local paint supply store, talk to them about your plan and let them match the paint right and they are usually very helpful for tips on how to do it the right way....they may also have a suggestion for a shop that would be willing to do it;)

2drtahoez71
07-24-2007, 08:55 PM
thanks fo the links BeemerBoy

thats what im going to end up doing steve, thanks.

Poorboy
07-24-2007, 09:52 PM
thanks fo the links BeemerBoy

thats what im going to end up doing steve, thanks.

good luck:bigups