PDA

View Full Version : Starfield on Windshield - Steelwool not helpful

nikro000
06-20-2007, 02:38 PM
My windshield looked very good when I bought my ford focus used last september. I applied Invisible Glass and it did a good job :rockon . Over time however, there were not only those unavoidable nicks (I live in the desert with stones and sand constantly "flying" around) but I also started to see more and more of tiny, pinpoint sized white specs:wow: . Now my windshield looks like a starmap against a dark background. The tiny specks are not raised or recessed (at least I cannot feel them). I tried vinegar and #0000 steel wool. The steelwool with cleaner wax makes it a LITTLE bit better (or I am imagining it, because I want it to see a difference). I have two questions:

A) Can anybody tell me how coarse I can go on the steel wool SAFELY before I scratch :yikes: my windshield (I started with 0000)?

B) Has anybody any experience with filling in the bigger nicks (not the tinyt specks) with a windshield repair resin (they are just feelable nicks, not full spidercracks or bullseyes)?
Does it work? Does it look good?

Thanks

Beemerboy
06-20-2007, 03:05 PM
My windshield looked very good when I bought my ford focus used last september. I applied Invisible Glass and it did a good job :rockon . Over time however, there were not only those unavoidable nicks (I live in the desert with stones and sand constantly "flying" around) but I also started to see more and more of tiny, pinpoint sized white specs:wow: . Now my windshield looks like a starmap against a dark background. The tiny specks are not raised or recessed (at least I cannot feel them). I tried vinegar and #0000 steel wool. The steelwool with cleaner wax makes it a LITTLE bit better (or I am imagining it, because I want it to see a difference). I have two questions:

A) Can anybody tell me how coarse I can go on the steel wool SAFELY before I scratch :yikes: my windshield (I started with 0000)?

B) Has anybody any experience with filling in the bigger nicks (not the tinyt specks) with a windshield repair resin (they are just feelable nicks, not full spidercracks or bullseyes)?
Does it work? Does it look good?

Thanks

Grab a sandwich baggie and put over your hand....run that across the window palm side down.....can you feel anything on the surface?

I use a one sided razor blade on windows a lot....it always seems to get off everything that is on the surface...if what you have is on the surface that should lift it...with steel wool I would not get more aggressive than you have already...some goo gone with the 0000 might be a solution as well.

As for the fill in resin and DIY stuff...I would let the pro`s do that stuff last thing you want to do is get something on window that you can`t remove that makes an obstruction of some sort....that`s my .02

Poorboy
06-20-2007, 05:24 PM
I`ve seen afew people post about using the Mr. Clean magic eraser ..I prefer Professional Polish:) ...glass repairs never seem to work all that well ...but hammers do:D

nikro000
06-20-2007, 05:35 PM
I`ve seen afew people post about using the Mr. Clean magic eraser ..I prefer Professional Polish:) ...glass repairs never seem to work all that well ...but hammers do:D

Yeah! If I get too much nicks and "stars" the hammer treatment might be the way to go. Just what hammer should I use??? The traditional woodhandle with metal top, the hardplastic handle with the steel top pointed on one side, the fiberglass handle with the blunt rubberhead... sometimes it is so hard to find the right detailing tools!!! :D

nikro000
06-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Grab a sandwich baggie and put over your hand....run that across the window palm side down.....can you feel anything on the surface?

I use a one sided razor blade on windows a lot....it always seems to get off everything that is on the surface...if what you have is on the surface that should lift it...with steel wool I would not get more aggressive than you have already...some goo gone with the 0000 might be a solution as well.

As for the fill in resin and DIY stuff...I would let the pro`s do that stuff last thing you want to do is get something on window that you can`t remove that makes an obstruction of some sort....that`s my .02

A rzorblade I haven`t used yet. Good idea. I`ll try when I get home. THanks

Poorboy
06-20-2007, 05:44 PM
Yeah! If I get too much nicks and "stars" the hammer treatment might be the way to go. Just what hammer should I use??? The traditional woodhandle with metal top, the hardplastic handle with the steel top pointed on one side, the fiberglass handle with the blunt rubberhead... sometimes it is so hard to find the right detailing tools!!! :D

i like the pointy ones..they look like a rock hit it:notme:

jaybs02
06-20-2007, 09:20 PM
The way you are going to get rid of that look is by replacing the windshield, and even then you will get the starfield back with in a year.
You could try cerium oxide and a cotton buffing wheel but you do have to be careful not to distort the glass.

"J"

nikro000
06-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Well, I tried the razorblade. It took some off, but the smallest specks MUST be somehow ingrained in the glass, even though I don`t feel them. I guess I am screwed and have to live with it.:(

nikro000
06-20-2007, 09:28 PM

The way you are going to get rid of that look is by replacing the windshield, and even then you will get the starfield back with in a year.
You could try cerium oxide and a cotton buffing wheel but you do have to be careful not to distort the glass.

"J"

Yeah, I think you are right. I will just try the Cerium Oxide as a last resort.:redface:

Big Leegr
06-21-2007, 02:31 AM
If you are sure they are contaminants and not chips, you could clay the glass to remove the tiny bits not touched by the razor blade.
Diamondite has a "filler" product. I`ve used it only a couple times. Didn`t notice much filling, but then, I used it on some SAD glass. Maybe it works well on "little bits hurt" glass?
When buffing out scratches in glass (have not tried myself) I keep getting STRONG warnings from the vendors/pros to be VERY careful, as you can distort the clarity of the glass if you use actual glass compounds (such as from Eastwood).

Poorboy
06-21-2007, 07:04 AM
I still think the hammer is the way to go:notme:

Beemerboy
06-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Well, I tried the razorblade. It took some off, but the smallest specks MUST be somehow ingrained in the glass, even though I don`t feel them. I guess I am screwed and have to live with it.:(

Thinking about where you live I would guess that this is a common occurrence for you guys....sounds like when you drive and the sand is blowing hard...its almost like sand blasting the window, for lack of better terms...Is that something that you guys see out that way?

If that is the case then, I`m changing my soloution to the

nikro000
06-21-2007, 10:35 AM
If you are sure they are contaminants and not chips, you could clay the glass to remove the tiny bits not touched by the razor blade.
Diamondite has a "filler" product. I`ve used it only a couple times. Didn`t notice much filling, but then, I used it on some SAD glass. Maybe it works well on "little bits hurt" glass?
When buffing out scratches in glass (have not tried myself) I keep getting STRONG warnings from the vendors/pros to be VERY careful, as you can distort the clarity of the glass if you use actual glass compounds (such as from Eastwood).

I have come to the conclusion that they must by tiny (really tiny) chips. The filler product sounds good!
:bigups

nikro000
06-21-2007, 10:45 AM
Thinking about where you live I would guess that this is a common occurrence for you guys....sounds like when you drive and the sand is blowing hard...its almost like sand blasting the window, for lack of better terms...Is that something that you guys see out that way?

If that is the case then, I`m changing my soloution to the

Yes, you are probably right. I am not stressed out about it anymore. I do what I can but it is my daily ride after all and whatever I do it will probably come back. So my solution is to remove it the best I can (perfect not possible) and replace the windshield when it gets too bad