PDA

View Full Version : Inordinate Amount of Clear Coat Failures?

Beemerboy
06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
In driving around I always take notice of about all the cars....Looking for detail work;)

I notice quite a few cars with clear coat failures these days...I`m talking about cars that are not that old in some cases...5 years or ear shot of that.

I have to wonder if this is due to lack of up keep...bad paint jobs...the way the car is stored.

Of course I steer clear of talking to people like that but to me I seem to see allot of CCF

Anyone else see this?

Poorboy
06-19-2007, 08:31 PM
It`s probably a combination of all that you have listed plus where people live (environment) salt air , polution, and sometimes just things like parking under nasty trees with sap or too much bird droppings, or driving through tunnel washes with harsh chemicals will wear down the clearcoat.

Stephan
06-20-2007, 05:21 AM
I have not seen it on anything that new...I see it on quite a few Neons around here that have that odd blue color to them. However I think those are older and were during a period of time when Chrysler used a different type of paint that didn`t adhear well to the primer...

But something new is strange I have done cars that were from about 2001/2002 and had never been washed once never mine detailed and their clear was still intact...horribly dirty but intact.