PDA

View Full Version : Chrome Plated Wheels

rayoto
06-14-2007, 08:56 AM
Detailing a `97 Dodge Ram this weekend with stock wheels, they appear chrome plated steel. These guys are pretty bad (soap and water will not cut the stains). Before I start I thought I would ask everyone how they would clean and polish them. Sorry, I don`t have any pics right now. I`ll have to post some before and afters later.:thanks

Poorboy
06-14-2007, 09:03 AM
that would really depend on what you have to work with or if you were looking to purchase products (kind of late in the week to get a delivery) as to what to use:)

Bigs
06-14-2007, 09:23 AM
It would help us a lot to see what state the wheels are in! Provide us with some pics!

Also, if you are ready to spend a bit of money for products that we can recommend!

Beemerboy
06-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I think that I know the type of rims you are talking about....is it a chrome cap over a stock rim held on by the lugs?

Here are two pics of what I think the rims look like.

Is this right?

These are not off a Dodge truck but I did one a few weeks back that had the same rims as these

If they are what I used after washing with a good brake dust cleaner...was 0000 steel wool to remove the stain on the chrome...then a chemical based polish...for OTC stuff look for a metal polish they are chemical based for the most part...the I used a sealant but that`s not necessary if you don`t have it

Note that center cap is plastic plated so do not used much pressure on that with the steel wool....very gently then you have to rely on the polish to get the rest out...trust me its a major pain to clean

Stephan
06-14-2007, 10:14 AM
That looks like a Moutaineer rim...

I have not tried 0000 steel wool yet but I think I need to get some. My probelm with wheels that come in this condition is I find it takes me over two hours just to do the tires and wheels...

What did you use when you say a good Brake Dust cleaner?

Beemerboy
06-14-2007, 10:29 AM
That looks like a Moutaineer rim...

I have not tried 0000 steel wool yet but I think I need to get some. My probelm with wheels that come in this condition is I find it takes me over two hours just to do the tires and wheels...

What did you use when you say a good Brake Dust cleaner?

Good eye they are:bow

I use PB S&R cleaner its safe on any surface that I have used it on..even polished aluminium...I also use a local suppliers cleaner...just make sure that what ever you use is not acid based...the steel wool just speeds up process and removes safely anything that is on the surface...as for how long it takes you on wheels like this...no one is doing these any faster...I can`t recall how long it took me to get these clean..not counting the polishing and sealant...hours...I charge accordling...I figure if someone is going to let their rims get to this state...then they are going to pay for me to get them back and right

Stephan
06-14-2007, 10:35 AM
I may have to go pick some up today....is it safe to use on Aluminum rims? I have a car to do that has pit stain marks on the rims and while some heavier polish seems to get rid of some of it...it still does not bring it up to what I would like to see...

Beemerboy
06-14-2007, 10:43 AM
I may have to go pick some up today....is it safe to use on Aluminum rims? I have a car to do that has pit stain marks on the rims and while some heavier polish seems to get rid of some of it...it still does not bring it up to what I would like to see...

Aluminium is a horse of a different color...polishing it requires heat and a good metal polish...the one that I like is Zephyr pro-40...PB PP is also another good choice...and much more versatile in the long run...by heat I mean something like a mothers power-ball on a drill or I use my rotary with a special wool pad...you can get this done by hand but its going to take some elbow grease...lastly to remove effectively the black residue...use a clean MF towel and some baking soda on it...will take off all the black stuff leaving it steak free in seconds

Stephan
06-14-2007, 10:47 AM
Aluminium is a horse of a different color...polishing it requires heat and a good metal polish...the one that I like is Zephyr pro-40...PB PP is also another good choice...and much more versatile in the long run...by heat I mean something like a mothers power-ball on a drill or I use my rotary with a special wool pad...you can get this done by hand but its going to take some elbow grease...lastly to remove effectively the black residue...use a clean MF towel and some baking soda on it...will take off all the black stuff leaving it steak free in seconds

Cool thanks...I will try that as I have all of the materials at my disposal...I will try it first on my wifes Sequioa and post some pics of the results. Thats the one complaint I have on her car is her rims...I have never had a car where the rims pit so easy...I wonder if maybe it doesn`t have a clear finish?

rayoto
06-14-2007, 10:48 AM
Wow, you guys are quick...

Beemerboy: yep, thats what I`m dealing with, not quite that bad though..thanks for the pics. I`ll give your method a try along with some Mothers Polish I have around.

Poorboy: Now you know what I`m dealing with, what do you recommend in your line for future use? Already gonna get some PB S&R..

Beemerboy
06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Cool thanks...I will try that as I have all of the materials at my disposal...I will try it first on my wifes Sequioa and post some pics of the results. Thats the one complaint I have on her car is her rims...I have never had a car where the rims pit so easy...I wonder if maybe it doesn`t have a clear finish?

fast way to tell is use some polish on them and if the rag comes back black they are not clear coated...to help protect the rims...get a sealant....I`m using PB wheel sealant and it helps to reduce the build up and protect the rim...however non-CC aluminum rims require a lot of attention...its why I went to all chrome plated rims on both my cars

here is a rim that I did on my last jeep

Rotary...wool pad..zephyr pro-40

Stephan
06-14-2007, 11:00 AM
fast way to tell is use some polish on them and if the rag comes back black they are not clear coated...to help protect the rims...get a sealant....I`m using PB wheel sealant and it helps to reduce the build up and protect the rim...however non-CC aluminum rims require a lot of attention...its why I went to all chrome plated rims on both my cars

here is a rim that I did on my last jeep

Rotary...wool pad..zephyr pro-40

I have some of the Wheel wax...and I have found that works well...I will go at it with the rotary and see if it works out...

rayoto
06-16-2007, 09:37 PM
I think that I know the type of rims you are talking about....is it a chrome cap over a stock rim held on by the lugs?

Here are two pics of what I think the rims look like.

Is this right?

These are not off a Dodge truck but I did one a few weeks back that had the same rims as these

If they are what I used after washing with a good brake dust cleaner...was 0000 steel wool to remove the stain on the chrome...then a chemical based polish...for OTC stuff look for a metal polish they are chemical based for the most part...the I used a sealant but that`s not necessary if you don`t have it

Note that center cap is plastic plated so do not used much pressure on that with the steel wool....very gently then you have to rely on the polish to get the rest out...trust me its a major pain to clean

Well, here is what I started with:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x85/rayoto/tn_IMG_2185-1.jpg

Here is what I ended up with:
http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x85/rayoto/tn_IMG_2186-1.jpg

Yeah, I know the center caps still need a little work..I gotta remove the tires to get them off. Either that or get a Dremel. To get this result I used ALOT of elbow grease, some #0000 Steel Wool and Nano Chrome Polish I p/u from Advanced Auto. I also gotta get some type of wax to keep them looking this good. Thanks for your help. Ray:rockon