PDA

View Full Version : Floor Wax Mishap

JJUACC
06-12-2007, 05:36 PM
Back around 1974 is about as far back as I can remember fully detailing the family car or any car for that matter.

We were going to sell the 1966 Impala station wagon to buy a new 1974 Caprice Estate station wagon.

My father was out of town on business and I decided to start on the chore myself. My mother would eventually help.

After washing the car, I asked my mother where my father keep the car wax. She went downstairs to his work room where he kept his stash of cleaning materials and picked up a can of what she thought was paste wax. Not reading the can, I began to use it all over the car.

After I thought it was dry, I attempted to remove it. It wasn`t coming off. In looking at the can, it turned out to be Johnson`s Floor Wax.

It took us hours using plain old "elbow grease" to remove it. The car actually looked pretty good except for the rust spots.

Flash forward 30 years.....

I protect both of my parent`s vehicles twice a year. For some strange reason I decided to do both in one day. My product of choice is Zaino.

So I could finish before dark, both my mother and father helped remove the product while I applied it. My mother brought up the "floor polish incident". I guess she couldn`t forget it. She said that Zaino is much easier to remove.

BTW, 2004 was the first time since 1974 that my mother had detailed a car. So I guess she would remember it.

Jack Urban

Beemerboy
06-12-2007, 05:45 PM
My father used Pledge on the dash and tires back in the 60`s

Stephan
06-14-2007, 10:28 AM
My wife when I first met her used to wash her car with Top Job...I was suprised she had any paint left...

Beemerboy
06-14-2007, 10:45 AM
My wife when I first met her used to wash her car with Top Job...I was suprised she had any paint left...

What is Top Job? some kind of household cleaner?

Stephan
06-14-2007, 10:56 AM
Its a APC with Ammonia...it is super strong and is meant for house cleaning like floors, sinks, counter tops etc...

I know now they have it with a lemon scent but when she used to open the cap of this concentrate...it was like green death scent...she would wash her car with a rag did it into a bucket of this stuff and then wash it off...the paint would seem to fade in color right before your eyes...

Larry A
06-19-2007, 09:37 AM
When I was a kid, I worked in a car wash and on real dirty cars we would sprinkle Cheer laundry powder over the car and scrub. The cars would come out clean but not very shinny.

Stephan
06-19-2007, 09:48 AM
When I was a kid, I worked in a car wash and on real dirty cars we would sprinkle Cheer laundry powder over the car and scrub. The cars would come out clean but not very shinny.

But I bet they would smell spring time fresh!:D