PDA

View Full Version : Fleas

Coastal Eddie
06-06-2007, 02:39 PM
I have a chance to move to the Muscle Shoals area of Alabama in the very near future and live in a 4000 sq ft. house with my brother and his wife.

To be honest I`m ready for the change, but there`s a glitch. I have 2 small mini dauschunds that they`re leary of me bringing because of the flea problems that are prevalent in that very humid part of our country.

Since I live in a hot dry area I haven`t ever had to deal with fleas, but in doing some research I believe with due diligence a person can maintain his pets and their surrounding environment to be as "flea free" as is possible and thus eliminating alot of the problem.

I`ll be living in a converted 1100 sq ft basement with all the comforts of home and my dogs wouldn`t be allowed on the top floors, but this is still a problem with my Brother & Sister Inlaw. I respect their space enormously and obviously will not go if my dogs aren`t welcome.

I`d like to know from the guys who live in humid areas of the country where there are flea problems what do you do to control that situation, especially where pets are concerned?

Thanks Very Much :)

CharlesW
06-06-2007, 03:02 PM
First off, I haven`t a clue, but......
Maybe you could contact a veternarian in the Muscle Shoals area and get some information.
If the Vet says it is possible to be flea free, his opinion might go a long way towards making your brother and his wife feel more comfortable with the situation.

Charles

scottlee
06-06-2007, 03:48 PM
Fleas are also a big problem in Texas. All i ever do is treat the yard with a granular flea treatment and also a liquid treatment with a hose end sprayer first thing in the spring. the granular i repeat every 8 weeks and i have never seen a flea on either of our dogs and i do use the treatments for the dogs, such as "frontline"
and as i say i have never seen a flea in 11 years in Texas, it was a big fear for me moving here from the north where fleas were`nt a problem hope this was of some help

JaredPointer
06-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Eddie -

I have lived here for quite some time now, and for the past five years I have had a "weinie." She`s an inside dog, and as long as you take some minor precautions, fleas and ticks are not really a problem. I have not had any problems with regular bathing and using some of the flea & tick (Frontline) during the warmer months.

I think you would like some of the aspects about living here, such as the incredibly low cost of living. A comparative dollar goes a lot farther here in the housing and land market than it does in other areas of the US.

Coastal Eddie
06-06-2007, 04:51 PM
Eddie -

I have lived here for quite some time now, and for the past five years I have had a "weinie." She`s an inside dog, and as long as you take some minor precautions, fleas and ticks are not really a problem. I have not had any problems with regular bathing and using some of the flea & tick (Frontline) during the warmer months.

I think you would like some of the aspects about living here, such as the incredibly low cost of living. A comparative dollar goes a lot farther here in the housing and land market than it does in other areas of the US.

Thanks Jared, Charles, and Scott!! I was and still am very excited about the prospects of moving to Alabama to a city of around 10,000 called Sheffield.
But due to this flea issue I honestly don`t know if it`s going to happen.

I hope more people will chime in on this thread because I plan on using this to possibly enlighten not only myself but my Brother and Sister Inlaw as well.

Charles the first thing I told my Bro was to talk to a Vet there and get some local insight. I`m sure he`s going to do that.

:)

audiboy
06-06-2007, 08:31 PM
I`ve had a dog in central Arkansas for a couple of years now and haven`t had any problems at all.

TrueDetailer
06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
As long as you keep the yard sprayed for fleas, and keep some flea and tick medicine on your dog you should be good to go.

I use frontline for my doberman once a month behind the neck, and i spray my yard once a month. I never have any flea problems.

Mr. Clean
06-06-2007, 10:52 PM
Coastal Eddie, good to "hear" from you! Not a thread topic I would have expected however :) Mini Dachs, eh? My parents had a couple (at different times), and they were worshipped. :D

But to the point of your post, my experience says that healthy dogs have few if any problems with parasites. Likewise, yards that are healthy generally are host to microorganisms which will control the fleas and ticks.

Unless it is a massive infestation, fleas are pretty easily controlled on the pet with just a pet shampoo and yes, a vinegar/water rinse. Pet bedding washed regularly (add an ounce of di-limonene to the wash cycle) and carpeted floored areas need frequent vacuuming to break the life cycle.

Basically lots of low-impact ways to prevent and/or control the little pests.

OT -- We have a 9 y/o 50+ lb. fawn/black face (though she is graying) she-Boxer that owns us and graciously shares her living quarters with us. :D