PDA

View Full Version : Great 3 Day Weekend All

Beemerboy
05-25-2007, 11:21 AM
Hope that you all have a great three day weekend...its the start of the summer season..and for me the start of the detail season...

Lets not forget why we celebrate / honor this weekend..its the fallen military service people of this great country that they have given their lives defending our freedom.

Thanks you to all who have served and are serving

USAF 1973 to 1975 C130 Aircraft Mechanic

Pockets
05-25-2007, 12:17 PM
thanks beemerboy hope you have a great 3 day weekend to. And i will not forget what it is all about. Happy Memorial Day. Having a bbq.

Scott P
05-25-2007, 01:54 PM
We were planning on installing our 14`x12` paver patio this weekend but I couldn`t get the materials in time. Once I saw that I would need 100+ bags of paver base at $4+ per bag, I thought that I should check other sources. I found out today that I could get it delivered in bulk for $80, but of course I wouldn`t get it until next week. I guess that project moves to next weekend.

I will have to pass the time next to the grill this weekend. Maybe I`ll see what neighbors are sticking around and maybe smoke up a brisket or pork butt. It may cost me some sleep, but they all love my BBQ.

Or, I could get off my lazy behind and get the MG fully detailed and cruise that around.

Beemerboy
05-25-2007, 02:36 PM
We were planning on installing our 14`x12` paver patio this weekend but I couldn`t get the materials in time. Once I saw that I would need 100+ bags of paver base at $4+ per bag, I thought that I should check other sources. I found out today that I could get it delivered in bulk for $80, but of course I wouldn`t get it until next week. I guess that project moves to next weekend.

I will have to pass the time next to the grill this weekend. Maybe I`ll see what neighbors are sticking around and maybe smoke up a brisket or pork butt. It may cost me some sleep, but they all love my BBQ.

Or, I could get off my lazy behind and get the MG fully detailed and cruise that around.

The later of the two sound like the ticket...what time is the brisket going to be done...will there by beer:D

audiboy
05-25-2007, 09:09 PM
I would also like to wish everyone a SAFE and happy weekend. I`ll be watching UFC 71 tomorrow and might be going to a small get together on Sunday or Monday. It will be a nice relaxing weekend.

I would like to thank all of the servicemen and women who have given their life so this country can be free. I would also like to thank all of my brothers and sisters of the armed forces currently serving throughout the world.

US Air Force 2000 - current C-130 Aircraft Mechanic

audiboy
05-26-2007, 04:08 AM
Since Beemerboy displayed a picture of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, I thought it would be nice to have some reading material to go along with it. Please take time to read the following material because it really is interesting and informational.

The incscription on the West face of the tomb reads:

HERE RESTS IN
HONORED GLORY
AN AMERICAN
SOLDIER
KNOWN BUT TO GOD

The Tomb Guards, the 3rd U.S. Infantry Regiment (The Old Guard), make personal sacrifices to have the honor of serving. They work on a team rotation of 24 hours on, 24 hours off, 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, and 96 hours off. A guard takes an average of 6 hours to prepare his uniform (which is solid wool--regardless of the time of year) for the next day`s work. In addition to preparing the uniform, guards also complete physical training, Tomb Guard training, cut their hair before the next work day, and shave twice per day. Tomb Guards are required to memorize 16 pages of information about Arlington National Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, including the locations of over 100 graves and who is buried in each one.

There is a meticulous ritual the guard follows when watching over the graves:

The soldier walks twenty one steps across the Tomb. This alludes to the 21-gun salute, which is the highest honor given to any military or foreign dignitary. His weapon is always on the shoulder opposite the Tomb (i.e., on the side of the gallery watching the ritual).
On the 21st step, the soldier turns and faces the Tomb for 21 seconds.
The soldier then turns to face the other way across the Tomb and changes his or her weapon to the outside shoulder.
After 21 seconds, the first step is repeated.
This is repeated until the soldier is relieved of duty at the Changing of the Guard.

The mat is usually replaced twice per year, before Memorial Day and before Veteran`s Day. The guards have special metal plates built into their shoes to allow for a more rugged sole and to give the signature click of the heel during maneuvers. The guards are issued sunglasses, which is formed to their faces, due to the bright reflection from the marble surrounding the tomb and the amphitheater.

If one looks at the ground not covered by the mat, one can observe a wear pattern in the tile that corresponds to the precise steps taken during the changing of the guard.

In 2003 as Hurricane Isabelle was approaching Washington, DC, our US Senate/House took 2 days off with anticipation of the storm. On the ABC evening news, it was reported that because of the dangers from the hurricane, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment. They respectfully declined the offer, "No way, Sir!" Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson. The Tomb of the Unknowns has been guarded continuously, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, since July 2, 1937

Suzanna
05-26-2007, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the reminder.
My appreciation to our military past and present.
Be safe and enjoy the week-end.

Suzanna
my dad was USAF retired
aircraft mechanic `48-`68

Tex Star Detail
05-27-2007, 12:00 PM
From the Teams guarding the tomb,
The Guard is changed every thirty minutes during the summer (April 1 to Sep 30) and every hour during the winter (Oct 1 to Mar 31). During the hours the cemetery is closed, the guard is changed every 2 hours. The Tomb is guarded, and has been guarded, every minute of every day since 1937.

audiboy
05-28-2007, 02:28 PM
Just a reminder to take a minute out of your day to say a prayer or give thanks to those who defend our freedom.