PDA

View Full Version : Help me Price/Time this Cherokee

Brenton
05-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Hello folks. Got a request for an airplane, a `66 or 67 Cherokee. There is a pic attached, but it is tough to read the specs.
Basically, 30` wingspan, 24` length. Silver on top half is heavily oxidized but will shine up nicely with a 2 stage polish (cut & polish). The burgundy below is tougher, especially on the fibreglass wings, but should be similar. I don`t have an air polisher, so I have to do the paint around the cockpit by hand, but the rest is machine accessible.
What kind of time do you think that will take?
It feels like about as much paint as a Suburban, but I don`t know. I`ll only need a ladder for about 4`x2` of the roof above the wing on one side and on the tailwing. Everything else is on the floor.

brenton

Troy@Protekt
05-23-2007, 09:15 PM
I really have a hard time pricing out planes because I don`t do enough of them. Without actually seeing it myself, any price suggestions I gave you wouldn`t be of much use because I would be guessing.

Someone here should be able to help you though. I know I am interested in reading some responses.

dr_detail
05-24-2007, 12:48 AM
First, is it painted with imron? Many aircrafts are painted with a hard catalyzed paint for chip resistance, durability and all around longevity. If so, it is a whole lot more work to polish out than that of a Suburban.

Second, multiply how many hours you think it will take you by your hourly rate; then add 15-20% as a cushion -- for me, if I was bidding this job, I would estimate somewhere in the 8-10 hour range for standard paint. If it`s imron, I`d add another 2-4 hours. However, for me, I would insist on doing a test spot prior to committing to a price.

kastanaras
05-24-2007, 04:31 AM
Not shore if this helps but this is a picture of the type of plane.

Airliners.net Photos: Peninsulair Piper PA-28-140 Cherokee Cruiser (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0320153/M/)

Not exact plane but should look like this.

Brenton
05-24-2007, 04:56 AM
I`m not sure what it is painted with. It was painted about 1990, it is oxidized on both colours, so a single stage. Both panels shined up a bit by hand polishing, but need wheel polishing to get a more even shine.
brenton

Poorboy
05-24-2007, 10:56 AM
I would say it`s at least double or triple the area of a suburban and there`s a top and bottom to each wing. Airplane people are used to paying a lot for their luxury and make sure you get paid what you are worth;)

Bigs
05-24-2007, 10:59 AM
charge by the hour... depends on how bad it is etc. Ask the owner what he`s ready to dish out. That should be a hell of a job.

Brenton
05-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I would say it`s at least double or triple the area of a suburban and there`s a top and bottom to each wing. Airplane people are used to paying a lot for their luxury and make sure you get paid what you are worth;)

Yeah, perhaps. Honestly, people around hear stretch out for every dime. His business partner is convinced he can do it himself.
I don`t mind not getting the job, so I won`t bid too low. But, I would love to try it. I`m going to offer him a half price photo deal, but it will still be a 20 hour + job, i think.
Sound about right?

Poorboy
05-24-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, perhaps. Honestly, people around hear stretch out for every dime. His business partner is convinced he can do it himself.
I don`t mind not getting the job, so I won`t bid too low. But, I would love to try it. I`m going to offer him a half price photo deal, but it will still be a 20 hour + job, i think.
Sound about right?

I was thinking more of the 10-12 hour job ...just remember that it`s a plane and not a car which has to be swirl free and perfect, even though it may be in your blood, perfection is not the objective here but a clean revived paint;)

Troy@Protekt
05-24-2007, 10:18 PM
I was thinking more of the 10-12 hour job ...just remember that it`s a plane and not a car which has to be swirl free and perfect, even though it may be in your blood, perfection is not the objective here but a clean revived paint;)

:exactly:

Troy --> :bow :bubba <-- Poorboy

Brenton
05-25-2007, 05:40 AM
Not perfection.
Hmmm.
I never thought of that before.
brenton