PDA

View Full Version : dumb dilution question

jlift
05-14-2007, 10:05 AM
On a product that I purchased, it says "Can be used as a waterless car wash by diluting 3:1 with H20.

The question I have is, is it three parts WATER or three parts PRODUCT?

thanks. Sorry for being so stupid. P.S. The product is CG Speed Wipe.:crazy2:

GearHead_1
05-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Three parts water, one part product.

Tex Star Detail
05-14-2007, 09:46 PM
Three parts water, one part product.

what he said ;)

Brenton
05-15-2007, 04:27 AM
It is not a dumb question. I have products that are 1:3 and others that are 3:1. You basically have to follow the grammar of the sentence, though most products are cut by water with more water than product.

joyriide1113
05-15-2007, 01:28 PM
Well this one is a little intersting. I ahve seen people go back and forth on the subect, but here goes..

Does the ratio 4:1 mean 4 parts water and one part product

or...

does it mean out of the four parts, one part product, and the rest (3) water.

I`ve seen soo many detailers say different things when talking about how efficient some products are that I got confused myself. I always went the first route.

Stephan
05-15-2007, 01:32 PM
What they need is like what I have for my Chainsaw/Leaf Blower/Trimmer. Those `One Shots`, the exact mixture for gallon of gas, or in this case what ever you are using.

Like if Poorboys made a one shot SW and you would pour it into a sprayer add water, shake it, and now you have a full container. It would save on shipping and materials...just a thought.

Bigs
05-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Does the ratio 4:1 mean 4 parts water and one part product

Most of them yes... But... Some might display it differently.

budman3
05-15-2007, 02:14 PM
Like if Poorboys made a one shot SW and you would pour it into a sprayer add water, shake it, and now you have a full container. It would save on shipping and materials...just a thought.

It is a good idea, but Charles W. thought of that last year and Steve said that there are too many ingredients in the products to do so.
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detailing-product-discussion-misc/18982-concentrated-product.html

CharlesW
05-15-2007, 02:57 PM
The comment that it isn`t a dumb question, I agree with completely.:bigups
I`m not too sure about the dilution ratio meaning water to be the larger number.:confused:

The Chemical Guys site does list the dilution for Pro-Detailer as 2:1 and intend for the larger number to be product.
From The CG site:
"diluting Pro-Detailer 2 parts product to 1 part water."

"when it is mixed 2 (parts Product) to 1 (Part Distilled water), or 1 to 1 with distilled water."

Personally, I would contact CG by phone or e-mail and get their comment on just what they do suggest.

Charles

Zipster
08-20-2007, 06:12 PM
Wouldn`t that take the Waterless in "Waterless Detailer" if you add water?

Just a thought!

Pockets
08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
Wouldn`t that take the Waterless in "Waterless Detailer" if you add water?

Just a thought!

Lol there is usually water in waterless washes the "waterless" just means you don`t have to drag out 2 buckets the hose and actually have to wash the car with water you just use the waterless wash and it eliminates all of this.

Good thought though and welcome to the site :howdy:howdy enjoy your stay you will learn alot of great stuff here :bigups

black bart
08-21-2007, 07:12 PM
CG SPEED WIPE SPRAY & Streak Free QUICK SHINE (No Wax)

A show Stopping High Shine Spray Detail, Use as a waterless car wash, a clay bar lubricant, or to enhance the depth and clarity of paint, chrome, plastic, aluminum, or glass. Will not strip or remove wax or sealants. can be diluted 3:1 with distilled H20 if desired.

This is what CG site has to say about the speed wipe I would take it to mean 3 parts water to 1 part product. Since it said if desired I think you can use it full strength also.
Even at a 3-1 that would be 25 percent product and that makes it pretty expensive compared to something like DP 4 in one you use 2 1/2 ounce in 32 ounces of water to make it a QD.

dr_detail
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
Does the ratio 4:1 mean 4 parts water and one part product It really would be in how the directions are worded. In the example given above by black bart, "...can be diluted 3:1 with distilled H20 if desired." the wording actually calls for 3 parts product and 1 part H2O. For ease of use however, most professional products will spell it out crisp and clearly -- Dillute X with Y amount of Z. In Joyriide1113`s example however there is not enough data given to honestly do annything more than assume.

Just my $0.02 though take it for what it`s worth.