PDA

View Full Version : New Services Web Design

Jngrbrdman
05-06-2007, 06:47 PM
The bulk of OCDetails.com is just articles and advice without much in the way of my own services. I need to spend the time in finishing reformatting that site instead of tweaking all these other projects, but I decided to build a site that spotlighted my own services a little more. I`m interested in feedback from you guys as to what you think about the pricing structure and layout.

CLICK HERE FOR SITE (http://www.services.ocdetails.com)

I`ll admit that the menu on the right is a little funny, but I wanted a unique feel to the site. I also wanted something I could use with my web design stuff that I do on the side in the winter.

The things that are still under construction are the photo album and the calendar. I`m not even sure if I`ll be able to have a calendar on there, but I`d like to be able to show people what they are looking at in terms of days I have available. If I can find an easy way to keep something updated on there then I`d like to.

JaredPointer
05-06-2007, 09:17 PM
I like the menu. It`s different, and I think that`s something good to see in a website sometimes.

bsdsys
05-07-2007, 12:56 AM
I like the website. Looks good. Basic, clean, get`s to the point. One thing I would change and that is all the graphical java scripts for your images page. Maybe even come up with a much more simple menu in general that is possible written in php or even straight html would work as well.

Maybe it`s my experience coming from the Winblows operating system to a Unix operating system but when I go to a website that has alot of graphics, 9 times out of 10 I will go to another page to find what I want. Just my opinion. Otherwise the site looks great though, seriously.

Bryan

Jngrbrdman
05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
Yeah, that photos page is actually not something I built. It is a feature that my web host offers. I just upload pictures to it and they provide the script. I`m not happy with it because I can`t change the size. I don`t like that it overlaps the side menu, so I`ll probably come up with something else. It isn`t finished yet, so nobody really knows about it. I`m going to wait till I get the pictures page done before I start using it.

I`m not really relying on drifter traffic to keep me busy. Most of the time people are calling me asking questions about their vehicle and what I would charge them even if I had already spelled it out in the ad that they got my number from. lol I`m hoping this will help answer some questions for me in advance so I can spend more time detailing and less time explaining what it is that I do.

Thanks for the feedback!

GearHead_1
05-07-2007, 12:47 PM
I hope I`m not repeating something here that you`ve already commented on. I like the layout alot but feel the menu tabs are too dang small. Actually I really like sites that fill my screen as opposed to left or center copy. I don`t like scrolling on to a tab and before it raises its text box I loose it because I`m not focusing the mouse on a small tab.

On your level 1 and level 2 service packages are you planning on putting a description of services along with the existing text? Level 2 also has an asterisk at the bottom of the text saying that this is for neglected cars but in the next breath say that this service should be performed every 6 months. I`m not sure that these two thoughts go hand in hand and I think there is a better way to convey the frequency of this offering.

I`m using FireFox and the text (longer descriptions) from many of the tabs doesn`t stay in the center of the objective (two horizontal lines in the background). I don`t know if others see this or not. The scrolling window is also difficult to read. Larger may be better here also.

Stephan
05-07-2007, 01:17 PM
I like the design...although I agree the tabs on the right hand side could be bigger, I found it hard at times to choose one without it taking me to the one below it, also the words are cut off by the side graphic.

Jngrbrdman
05-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Very good feedback guys. Thanks! I`ll see what I can do. Some of it is code driven and easy to change. The speed of the text is easy to change. Much of the rest of it is easy too, so I`ll make some changes and see what we have. I`m not thrilled with the amount of space I gave myself for the text either. My initial idea was to put a frame in the place of the text so I could have them scroll down in that window. For some reason when I put the frame in originally it over took the menu on the side, so I put text in like normal and decided to figure out the glitch later. I might go back to it and play with it some more since that problem might be easier to sort than redesigning the configuration of the site.