PDA

View Full Version : Sound right to you????

Tex Star Detail
04-26-2007, 09:34 PM
was checking out a couple of detailing websites and on a particular site, these statement about waxes and such caught my eye.....
(Copied and Pasted)

CARNUBA: Carnuba waxes are the industry standard and the choice of XXXXXXX. They provide a nice shine, and last for at least six months. They are water based, safe, and easy to use.

Other Waxes:

PERMAPLATE: Permaplate consists of a wax, a leather conditioner, and an upholstery treatment. The wax is mediocre, on a par with Turtle Wax. The leather conditioner is not nearly as effective as Lexol. And the upholstery treatment is completely ineffective. Few detailers use Permaplate; it is generally offered only by car dealers for an exorbitant fee. XXXXXXXXXXX offers new car conditioning with better products for a fraction of the price.

LIQUID WAXES: Liquid waxes will make your automobile look shiny for a few days, but do not protect the paint. They are generally reserved for dealer showrooms and concourses. XXXXXXXXXX advises against using them to protect paint.

PASTE WAXES: Most detailers, including XXXXXXXX, use paste waxes. They tend to provide a nice shine, last six to twelve months, and are easy to use.

SOLID WAXES: Solid waxes are generally effective, but tend to leave streaks, and require two or three applications for an even coat.

SILICONE: Silicone waxes tend to be shiny, but short-lived – three to six months. The are often called glazes, but not all glazes contain silicone. They are solvent based and thus potentially harmful to people and the environment. Finally, silicone waxes can cause problems when repainting or applying new clear coat. To avoid these complications, simply remove the wax with a clay bar or solvent.

ETHYLENE: Ethylene waxes tend to be shiny, but short-lived – three to six months. They are often called glazes, but not all glazes contain polyethylene. They are solvent based and thus potentially harmful to people and the environment.

TEFLON: Teflon waxes have two methods of application, one bad, one good. Bad news first. The “Teflon Process”, as many companies call it, is a dry process. The automobile is cleaned with a patented cleaner, dry buffed, cleaned again, then buffed with Teflon. The cleaner is very strong and has questionable environmental impact. The buffing step is usually unnecessary. The Teflon itself is an effective protectant, on a par with carnuba, but there is a much better method of application. Teflon wax is also available as a solid wax. Like all solid waxes (see “Solid Waxes” above), it is difficult to work with, but, again, the Teflon itself is an effective protectant.

URETHANE: Urethane waxes tend to be shiny, and last six to twelve months. They are often called glazes, but not all glazes contain urethanes. They are solvent based, and thus potentially harmful to people and the environment. Also, most automobile manufacturers use polyurethane paint and clear coat, and stronger polyurethane waxes dissolve the surface of the paint by design. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but they shorten the life of the paint and require great care in their application.

SEALANTS: Sealants literally seal the surface of paint. They last for at least a year, but when they wear out, they peel and look awful. They are difficult and expensive to apply and remove. And they are generally solvent based and thus potentially harmful to people and the environment.

Do the numbers sound off, or is it me? They seem a bit high on a few, as well as the sealant...
And the Teflon........

I dunno, just bored tonight.....what do you think?

BTW...if this is your site...not bashing

shiney alero
04-26-2007, 09:47 PM
well, im some what new to detailing but. i have used meguires step 3 liquid wax and yellow wax from pro, ( paste) and i find the megs last longer and produces a higher shine. just my 2 cents.

TrueDetailer
04-26-2007, 10:11 PM
Hmm. Whoever wrote that needs to do a little bit more research and some hands on testing. 6 to 12 months out of a paste? I wish.

And the teflon stuff, thats nothing but a marketing angle. TO be effective teflon has to be applied at high temps. I watched a modern marvels episode on it awile back, learned alot.

Tex Star Detail
04-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Hmm. Whoever wrote that needs to do a little bit more research and some hands on testing. 6 to 12 months out of a paste? I wish.

And the teflon stuff, thats nothing but a marketing angle. TO be effective teflon has to be applied at high temps. I watched a modern marvels episode on it awile back, learned alot.

My thoughts exactly.

And I love watching modern marvels.....lol

Stephan
04-27-2007, 05:07 AM
I suppose it would last 6 to 12 months if you never washed it...it then sat in your garage and was covered.:)

jaybs02
04-27-2007, 05:38 AM
I`m a little lost on what this person is trying to compare.

First he talks about carnuaba, then he goes to a specific brand, then different forms of wax, then to ingredients :crazy2:

He also says carnuaba lasts atleast 6 mos.
Then says that liquid waxes offer virtually no protection and its appeanance lasts only a few days, but then he says that paste wax lasts 6-12 mos, and we don`t know how long the solid will last because it takes to long to apply :lol:

Maybe he ment WEEKS not MONTHS, I`m generally good for 2-3 months with my carnuabas

I am just curious where this person got their information from, hopefully not here :lol2:

"J"

budman3
04-27-2007, 06:10 AM
Shoot I better go strip the sealant off my car so it doesn`t start to peel!! :rofl

....some people.... can`t trust a lot on the internet these days.

Troy@Protekt
04-27-2007, 06:28 AM
All I got to say is.... :rofl

You got that off Poorboy`s site didn`t you? :D :notme: :crazy2:

Troy

GothamAuto
04-27-2007, 07:53 AM
First of all, I agree about the teflon. You need to heat the surface you are applying it to like 600 degrees or something like that. It`s all a marketing ploy. Anyone know what happens when you heat a car`s paint job to 600 degrees? It`s an overpriced paint sealant is what it is.
As far as ANY wax lasting on your car for over 3 months, your pushing it. Any car that you are using for normal, everyday driving, the wax will last at MAX 2 months. Even the best paint sealant you can buy will need to be re-applied about every 6 months.
Next is the statement about the the solid wax needing to be applied 3 times. You know what happens when you apply three layers of wax? You get one layer of wax. Wax removes wax. I guess Biff in "Back To The Future" had a good marketing ploy as well applying two coats of wax to Marty`s truck.

Sparkie
04-28-2007, 02:34 AM
Shoot I better go strip the sealant off my car so it doesn`t start to peel!! :rofl

....some people.... can`t trust a lot on the internet these days.

:lol2: