PDA

View Full Version : It`s time to detail the GP

Scott P
04-19-2007, 07:13 PM
It`s been a while since I fully detailed the Grand Prix. I hit it quickly in February with Optimum Compound and Menzerna Acrylic Jacket. It looked nice (as nice as a nine year old northern driven black Pontiac paint can) but I think it`s time for a new detail. I washed and clayed it this evening, so it`s ready to go for me in the morning.

I feel the need to bust open a bottle of Opti-Seal, so I guess I`ll detail the whole car. Here`s what I have to work with that is currently in my personal "arsenal". The paint is in decent condition with the minor swirling that occurs on a black daily driver.

Polishes:

Menzerna IP and FPII
Optimum Compound
Poorboy`s SSR1
ClearKote Compound Moose and Blue Moose
Pinnacle Advanced and regular Swirl Removers
Clearkote Vanilla Moose and Red Moose Machine Glaze (not technically polishes, but I should list them)

Waxes/Sealants/One-Steps

Menzerna FMJ and Acrylic Jacket
Pinnacle Souveran and Signature Series
Poorboy`s Natty Wax, Natty Blue, Polish with Carnauba - Blue, EX, EX-P
S100
Meguiar`s #16
FK1 216
Tropicare TC-3

Yeah, I have a diverse collection of stuff that was given to me or bought off the secondary (used) market.

I`m hoping to not have to open anything new, so what is listed above is what I`ll be working with
Any thoughts on what product(s) I should experiment with? I`m thinking Optimum Compound, SSR1, FMJ and finally Opti-Seal. Another option would be to replace FMJ with a couple coats of EX.

Any thoughts out there?

Big Leegr
04-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Wouldn`t the OptiSeal possibly not work too well with a sealant applied under it? Especially if the sealant should have a day or so to cure before layering? (I`m guessing you`re going to do this all at once today?)

Also, would using stuff like 216, VM or RMG affect the sealant(s) since they are/contain glazes?

Sorry, no suggestions as to what route to take. Just some "wonderin`s" ;)

budman3
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
I`m kind of curious what Opti-seal will do over a carnauba... so maybe EX or Natty`s then Opti-seal? Sorry I`m not help, you really can`t go wrong with any of the above, can`t wait for pics.