PDA

View Full Version : Car scratches after full detail.....

jlift
04-19-2007, 09:28 AM
I took about two weeks to fully detail my new 07 Toyota, Black. I waxed it and built up 3 coats of Collinite wax. Car really looks shiny. However, I noticed about two days ago "light" scratches on my left rear drivers side window.....could barely feel them with my fingernail. The patterns on the scratches did not seem to indicate that a person would have done them. They were "animal like", random very short (1/8 to 3/4 of inch and then some 1" and 2" scratches) as if a cat might have tried to jump on the car and slid its claws down the slick window...there were also some very, very light scratches on the paint below the window. I really don`t think somebody did this to my car, but am completely puzzled as to how they got there. I did not notice them prior to detailing during the several times that I washed and used PB SW on it. Birds claws? doubt it...a cat? seems logical.

on to my question....how am I supposed to get rid of the scratches on the PAINT after a full detail with 3 coats of wax? Do I now need to use Dawn, (etc.) to take off the wax and use a SSR product on it? Or can I simply use a SSR (1 or 2) on it ON TOP of the wax? As you can tell, I am not a pro, that`s why I am asking.

I did use a green Edge 2K pad and SSR 2.5 and even managed to get several of the lighter scratches off of the WINDOW, but will need SSR 3 (I think) for the couple remaining not so light scratches (can barely catch them with my fingernail). :yikes:

audiboy
04-19-2007, 09:43 AM
I`m not sure if they`re from a cat if they scratched the glass on your window. Anyways, there are two ways that I would go to get rid of the scratches on a newly waxed car. First I would try to add a couple more coats of wax to the affected areas to try and fill them until the next polishing. If that didn`t work, I`d just go ahead and polish the affected area and wax afterwards. You do not need Dawn at any point of car care. It is a dish cleaner and should stay in the kitchen. If you want to remove the old wax, either use a clay bar or a cleaner polish.