PDA

View Full Version : paint on tires

jimbo_01
04-13-2007, 09:39 PM
well i just got my show truck back from the painter and it looks really good. the only problem is it has some of the red paint on the tires. anyone know of how to get it off? i`ve tried a pressure washer and even scraping it. i have mud tires so it`s down it lugs and i can`t just burn it off either. does anyone have some other ideas?

thanks for any info

Tex Star Detail
04-13-2007, 09:43 PM
you said lugs..... is it on the tires or rims?

audiboy
04-13-2007, 10:01 PM
He said they were mud tires, so he may just mean that it`s in the knubby tread.

What did you try scraping it with? You might want to try a wire brush with some type of solvent.

Rich189
04-13-2007, 10:33 PM
use paint thinner with a scrub brush or rag maybe easier just be extremely extremely careful not to get any on your rim or let a mist get on your paint i had the same problem when i painted my motorcycle and it took it right off just try not to let it sit on the rubber to long

vwgtivw
04-14-2007, 05:21 AM
E-Z Off oven cleaner and steel wool, spray a small area let it sit about a half a minute and scrub. Try it on a location that you won`t notice first. The oven cleaner is a mild paint stripper so be careful. I had a car once that someone vandalized and it worked.

Poorboy
04-14-2007, 08:10 AM
First I`m surprised that the shop didn`t cover the wheels when painting, second the easy way is to bring it back to the shop and let them remove it.

OK now that we are back to do it yourself, take an old rag, make it damp with water, pour a little laquer thinner on the rag and gently wipe the tire, for tread areas just hold the rag on the spots and let it soak for a few seconds. After you are done wash the tire/wheel with soap and water and use a tire brush to get any small specs that might be leftover. :)

last bit of advice, should you ever be bringing a show vehicle to a paint shop, make sure you have a spare set of rims and tires that go on the vehicle before you go ;) many show vehicle owners also do this for the winter:notme:

jimbo_01
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
yeah, i should have swapped tires. it would have been easier for him to paint it with the stock 29" tires too. my truck is lifted and on 35`s. the only problem is i installed lower gears. i swapped the stock 3.55`s too 4.56`s, so i couldn`t drive it too far on the highway with the 29`s. i can`t really complain since he cut me a heck of a deal on the paint job, since i show my truck. i`ll try all of your suggestions, if it won`t come off there`s a new tire coming out i want anyway. lol.