PDA

View Full Version : I tried cleanin my side mirrors

93v6legend
04-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Hi my name is Peter and i`m new here,When I wash my mirrors and wax it. they have alot of these white dots on both of my side mirror. That I tried to get rid of it won`t come off. How do I get rid of it? Thank you

CharlesW
04-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Welcome to DC!

It would appear that you might be working on a 1993 Legend.
Could your dots be rock chips that have wax in them?
I have seen dark colored cars that have rock chips in the front panels that get so much wax in them, it looks like they have white measles.

Charles

93v6legend
04-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Yes I`m am workin on my 1993 acura legend. I don`t know if that is the rock chips and that i tried waxin over them because i throught it was part of the wax that gotten hard. Well since u say it part of the rock chip should i just go ahead and repaint it?

audiboy
04-12-2007, 09:13 PM
I would also think that what you`re seeing is dried up wax stuck in some chipped areas. You might want to try some QD and a little bit of pressure with a microfiber. Make sure to stop by the new members section to give a proper introduction.

CharlesW
04-12-2007, 09:21 PM
Yes I`m am workin on my 1993 acura legend. I don`t know if that is the rock chips and that i tried waxin over them because i throught it was part of the wax that gotten hard. Well since u say it part of the rock chip should i just go ahead and repaint it?First off, I don`t know that what you have is wax in the rock chips. We need to be sure that is the problem before we try to do anything about it.

Secondly, you won`t have much success trying to paint over wax. The paint won`t adhere and will come off.

Try removing the white dots in one small area and see if you have rock chips under them.
As far as how to remove the wax, we have another problem. I use a product called 3M Adhesive and Wax Remover. Alcohol might work, but I really don`t know.
Using a terry cloth towel and a quick detailer might remove it. It would be a try and see project if I didn`t have the 3M stuff.

Charles

Poorboy
04-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Hi my name is Peter and i`m new here,When I wash my mirrors and wax it. they have alot of these white dots on both of my side mirror. That I tried to get rid of it won`t come off. How do I get rid of it? Thank you

try a little prep-sol , it`s cheap and easy to find at most auto supply stores :)

93v6legend
04-13-2007, 06:07 AM
Thanks for the help guys. That I just want to kno what prep-sol bottle looks like.

Scott P
04-13-2007, 07:44 AM
Just ask for it at the autobody store since that is the only place you`ll likely find it.

Poorboy
04-13-2007, 08:44 AM
Thanks for the help guys. That I just want to kno what prep-sol bottle looks like.

It comes in a small can ...you can get it at Autozone, Auotbody supply, and i think i`ve even seen it at Walmart ;)

audiboy
04-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Do you have any pictures of the white dots on your mirrors? On this site, pictures will usually help get a few more answers and possibly some more accurate answers.

93v6legend
04-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I have tha pic but i don`t kno where i put it. Anyways how do i post the pic? thanks

audiboy
04-13-2007, 09:56 PM
I have tha pic but i don`t kno where i put it. Anyways how do i post the pic? thanks

http://www.detailcity.org/forums/getting-most-out-detail-city/20915-where-post-your-pictures.html

Troy@Protekt
04-13-2007, 10:28 PM

You can post your pic right on this thread. It just has to be hosted on another site.

Try Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket (http://www.photobucket.com)

There is an icon that looks like a postcard along the toolbar of the "reply to" box here. That gives you a box to insert the web address where the picture is being stored at.

Troy

93v6legend
04-15-2007, 12:20 AM
alright i will do that soon and thanks for tha tip