PDA

View Full Version : How long till i can detail after new paint work?

97FLAIRSIDE
04-05-2007, 03:55 PM
I had an accident a few weeks ago and it should be fixed by tomorrow. My truck needed a good detail before the accident and i want to get it done afterwards. How long do i have to wait before i can detail the truck with fresh paint?

Poorboy
04-05-2007, 04:00 PM
Sorry to hear of the accident Steve:scared:

check with the body shop that paints it..usually 30-90 days ...but they are the ones who will warranty the work. You can always do the rest of the truck, as the painted area will be clean and shiny when you get it back :D

audiboy
04-05-2007, 04:05 PM
You should still be able to glaze and polish the newly painted area as long as you don`t apply any type of protection over it. But like Steve said, you should ask these questions to your bodyshop for exact answers.

dr_detail
04-05-2007, 06:36 PM
If you use "Body Shop Safe" products, you can detail it the day it comes home.

trhland
04-05-2007, 07:02 PM
What I always wanted to know is if you have a body shop paint a panel on your car. Is he putting the same amount of clear as you original paint?? Is the clear the same thickness?? can you polish that area for a long time with the p/c without going through the clearcoat??

97FLAIRSIDE
04-05-2007, 09:30 PM
What I always wanted to know is if you have a body shop paint a panel on your car. Is he putting the same amount of clear as you original paint?? Is the clear the same thickness?? can you polish that area for a long time with the p/c without going through the clearcoat??

Thats a very good question, 1 i would`ve never thought about.

My accident wasn`t bad. But im still a lil pissed that i had to pay out of pocket since it wasn`t my fault. Bus drove over a big piece of plywood and it broke my front grille, scratched up the hood,fender and passenger door pretty good, shattered my windshield and broke my passenger side mirror.

Pretty much the whole hood, front passenger fender and door, front grill are getting all new paint. Im sure other parts are too sicne the truck will be 10 years old this august. I`ll find out when i pick it up tomorrow around 5pm.

Steve(poorboy), how is gary(bones) doing?

Poorboy
04-05-2007, 09:56 PM
Thats a very good question, 1 i would`ve never thought about.

My accident wasn`t bad. But im still a lil pissed that i had to pay out of pocket since it wasn`t my fault. Bus drove over a big piece of plywood and it broke my front grille, scratched up the hood,fender and passenger door pretty good, shattered my windshield and broke my passenger side mirror.

Pretty much the whole hood, front passenger fender and door, front grill are getting all new paint. Im sure other parts are too sicne the truck will be 10 years old this august. I`ll find out when i pick it up tomorrow around 5pm.

Steve(poorboy), how is gary(bones) doing?

wow :wow: that must have been an experience ...
Gary is not well and will soon be moving to Florida for permanent retirement. :(

Poorboy
04-05-2007, 10:00 PM

A good body shop will put on as much if not more than the factory. Again, this would be something that you would have to ask them;) , and it should withstand polishing with either a rotary or a pc :)

97FLAIRSIDE
04-05-2007, 10:01 PM
im sorry to hear about gary. Tell him i said hi next time you talk to him.

as for the accident, i didn`t even realize what had happened till i looked in my mirror and i saw the plywood up in the air. Thats when i saw the cracked windshield, i immediately chased after the bus and called work who got a police officer there for me.

Poorboy
04-06-2007, 08:38 AM
Will send you regards ;)

Good thing it was the truck and not your car:rockon

97FLAIRSIDE
04-10-2007, 04:05 AM
steve, if it was the jetta i dont know what i`de be saying. It probably would`ve went thru the windshield or maybe right over the roof since that barely reaches the bottom of my mirror on the f150.