PDA

View Full Version : Now THIS is some detailed work

Jngrbrdman
04-01-2007, 01:37 PM
I love it when takes the time to really document the process of detailing a car. Check this thread out. (http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=347865&page=1) That is the $5000 car wash guy that we are all so fond of. This type of stuff really oohs and aahs the guys who don`t know what real detailing is. It is all in the presentation I guess. How many of you consider claying the wheels to be something amazing and outstanding? I know not all of us have paint meters, but how impressive is it really that this guy has one? He is doing exactly what any of us would do if we were tasked with detailing a car that the owner was especially proud of. The difference here is that this one is really really well documented. My hat goes off to that part. :)

Oh, and hooray for making a brand new car look like new, Mr. $5000 Car Wash guy. LMAO!

budman3
04-01-2007, 02:25 PM
The owner of that car that documented the detail process is a member here and posted this thread:
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/detailing-showcase/21244-uk-detail-zymol-royale-astra-vxr.html

I liked reading the whole process and it shows how much they pay attention to the details.

Jngrbrdman
04-01-2007, 05:14 PM
Nice. I guess that`s what I get for not being as active here as I could be, eh? lol No doubt a great job and excellent attention to detail. I love good reviews and process threads like that.

velocity
04-01-2007, 08:51 PM
from what i read on other forums...he didn`t pay 5g for that detail...the guy charged him between 500 to 800 on that detail...i guess he could charge 5g`s on a full detail depending on the condition, size, or if it includes wetsanding, etc...

Troy@Protekt
04-01-2007, 09:21 PM
I don`t know the story behind this, but it truly looks like a Zymol advertisement to me.

With all the Zymol labels conveniently showing and the person wearing the Zymol shirt in the pictures.

Is it just me?

Troy

Poorboy
04-01-2007, 10:48 PM
I don`t know the story behind this, but it truly looks like a Zymol advertisement to me.

With all the Zymol labels conveniently showing and the person wearing the Zymol shirt in the pictures.

Is it just me?

Troy

It`s probably just you ..bawahahahaha:lmfao:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:craz y2::crazy2::crazy2::crazy2::lol2::lol2::lol2::lol2 ::lol2::lol2::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::c razy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

C_Rock77
04-02-2007, 01:57 AM
I guess the thing that gets me about the detail is the measuring of the clearcoat thickness to get it all within a few microns all across the panel. Jeez, the best I can do is to get the scratches, etc out.

Did they apply WAX to the wheels? That not gonna last too long!

Beemerboy
04-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Although the work was really good....The car was in great shape and any decent product with a rotary could have achieved those results...the lighting also helped tremendously

Eliot Ness
04-02-2007, 09:35 AM

With all the Zymol labels conveniently showing and the person wearing the Zymol shirt in the pictures........I think the owner is just a really big Zymol fan. In one of his posts he mentions what he had to go through just to get that shirt.

I thought it was interesting to see the processes that Paul Dalton used rather than just the edited made-for-TV clip that is linked to all over the internet.

The man does have some great skills, as do a lot of detailers on this side of the big pond, but he has done a very good job of marketing his craft.

John

John

Deanski
04-02-2007, 04:17 PM
I see he was using the 3M pad for the new UltraFina polish (blue waffel type). Not a bad polish in anyway, but it has to finish wet, not dry. Somewhat oily from the leftover polish, but that`s how it works.

Zymol "Estate" waxes/glazes are a PITA, I have samples of all and yes, they are no fun to apply. I do not use hands to apply, I use nice warmed-up terry applicators for this (old toaster oven) and seems to work better.

Wonder why after final polishing go to a paint cleaner/cleanser? Final polish has enough for LSP if you do it correctly, I think the cleanser was a bit of overkill. Although Zymol likes to make you think it sets-up the finish for the Zymol wax better, but in my past experience, finishing with Menzerna or other hand or machine glaze works better.

Notice the other products on the shelf? :confused:

Nice to see someone has the time to really break it down into several days. When I do full work like this, I use a lift for access to everything I can get my hands on to clean and dress.

BTW, that`s some foam gun and product!

Regards,
Deanski

97FLAIRSIDE
04-05-2007, 12:23 AM
That is one beautfull looking car. I swear every country but the us has the best looking cars.

blucpe
04-05-2007, 02:46 PM
i don`t get it i put a coat of raindance over a coat of vista simonixe and it looks just as good.:yay :lol2: :lol2: seriously goys it was a lot of fun to watch, i personally got into it, made me want to get out there and start waxn and polishn. cause i do it even if it don`t need it, i,m anal that way and i don`t care who knows it.:rockon :rockon

CBlakeNS
04-29-2007, 05:26 PM
Impressed.

Anthony O.
04-30-2007, 08:26 AM
I`m personally impressed with the hype and marketing the guy is able to generate.....not so impressed personally with the results or the claims.

By his method the average detailing hack could advertise that they perform a 15 step hand wash if they counted every little thing as a seperate "step".

I pre-rinse the car, step 1
I apply a cleaner to the wheels, step 2, to the tires, step 3, I soap the car down, step 4.......etc.

A full detail would then be an easy 200 steps:rockon

I do a whole bunch of brand new Porsches but rarely post up pictures because......well, they are brand new!! How difficult is my task to get new paint to shine and be glossy? Zymol has never lasted more than 2 months in my experience and yes I have had the opportunity to test and use several of their waxes, so how they claim 6 months or up to a year is hard to grasp unless the cars are driven about 40 miles a year and then kept in a climate controlled garage.