PDA

View Full Version : Hi Newb and need serious detail

Frenv
03-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Hello,
I just got my hands on a 04 Acura TSX blck on blck.

The car is in good condition, but it has swirls pretty much everywhere :wall and on some panels, the shine/ reflection is not as crisp as the rest of the car.
I`m thinking it was done by the dealer`s body shop as they fixed some scratches on the car.

In any case I plan to give my new ride a total monster garage detail tomorrow. Well that is with over the counter/ most cost effective way.

Here`s my game plan, please feel free to comment/ suggest

For starter complete hand wash with dishwashing soap (to remove cheap wax dealer put on) + NXT car wash
Then Mother`s clay and rinse
Then huh.. for the swirls I`m thinking Meguiar`es Scratch X? By hand.. can`t afford the porter machine thingy. Or can I buy those $30 buffer machine?
After that polish?
and then NXT synthetic wax.

budman3
03-30-2007, 04:33 PM
I wouldn`t waste my money on the $30 buffer -- save up for the Porter Cable 7424. The results by machine will be well worth the money.

Welcome to DC- it seems like you are off to a great start, your process is spot on. I personally haven`t used Scratch-X but other have had sucess with it by hand. Then topping with NXT would be good to hide some swirls as well.

Frenv
03-30-2007, 04:52 PM
I wouldn`t waste my money on the $30 buffer -- save up for the Porter Cable 7424. The results by machine will be well worth the money.

Welcome to DC- it seems like you are off to a great start, your process is spot on. I personally haven`t used Scratch-X but other have had sucess with it by hand. Then topping with NXT would be good to hide some swirls as well.

Thanks!:D I`ll do the old wax on and wax off method then...

Frenv
03-30-2007, 04:54 PM

BTW should I polish after Scratch X?

budman3
03-30-2007, 04:57 PM
Scratch-X is your polish. I haven`t done much correction by hand but if want more of a workout after the Scratch-X you could try Mother`s Power Polish.... it is failry light but may clean up some light stuff after the Scratch-X.

Sparkie
03-31-2007, 05:07 AM

I agree^^^^^^