PDA

View Full Version : Roll-Off to clean an engine

CharlesW
03-26-2007, 08:37 PM
Today I cleaned the engine compartment of my daughter`s 2002 Ford Taurus.
It had last been cleaned in late 2004 and had racked up about 25,000 miles in those 2.5 years. It wasn`t really greasy and the stuff on it wasn`t baked on.

The Roll-Off did a great job with very little effort on my part. Per the instructions, I sprayed the engine down to have everything wet. (Engine was cold) I used the Roll-Off full strength in a spray bottle and let it soak for 3 minutes. I then agitated about every area I could reach with a paint brush and rinsed it off.
No objectionable odor and I didn`t even bother to wipe the entire engine compartment down. It dried pretty spot free and since we are selling the car, it was good enough for me.
The Roll-Off is worth a try.
Amazing Roll-Off Spray it on and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html)

Sorry, no pictures. I`m not much for pictures and I usually don`t have time to mess with the camera.

Charles

Beemerboy
03-26-2007, 09:17 PM
Today I cleaned the engine compartment of my daughter`s 2002 Ford Taurus.
It had last been cleaned in late 2004 and had racked up about 25,000 miles in those 2.5 years. It wasn`t really greasy and the stuff on it wasn`t baked on.

The Roll-Off did a great job with very little effort on my part. Per the instructions, I sprayed the engine down to have everything wet. (Engine was cold) I used the Roll-Off full strength in a spray bottle and let it soak for 3 minutes. I then agitated about every area I could reach with a paint brush and rinsed it off.
No objectionable odor and I didn`t even bother to wipe the entire engine compartment down. It dried pretty spot free and since we are selling the car, it was good enough for me.
The Roll-Off is worth a try.
Amazing Roll-Off Spray it on and watch the dirt roll off! (http://www.autogeek.net/amazingrolloff.html)

Sorry, no pictures. I`m not much for pictures and I usually don`t have time to mess with the camera.

Charles

Thanks Charles I have read some great things about this product as well...I have to get some...and I`m with you on pics...if I get a few befores and afters that`s about it for me

MagicCity33
03-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I`m a believer as well. I use this product on my aluminum rims, since it states it leaves a protective film to resist dirt. Scrubbing with a small brush works best as it foams up and lifts the dirt.

I should have some before and after shots of my rims in a few days. It does not work as well if you rub it with a wet rag so I will be stick with detailers brushes (stiff bristles heck even a tooth brush will work.) to remove the dirt. This stuff really works.

Wetwerks
03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
We`ve been using Roll off for several months now and so far we really like it. It was serving the purpose of an all around APC, but since purchasing a vapor steamer, we now use it mainily on the exterior, mainly tires, rims, wheel wells, and lower cladding/rocker panels. Works great on tires, wet, spray, let it dwell for a few minutes then hit them with a brush and watch the brown sludge roll off (no pun intended).

Walter
Co-owner

RTexasF
03-27-2007, 06:29 PM
Great tip Charles, thank you. I`ll have to give this a try. Is it worth buying a gallon?

CharlesW
03-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Great tip Charles, thank you. I`ll have to give this a try. Is it worth buying a gallon?It was for me. :D
Truthfully, I have a problem with paying extra for small quantities of a product that I think I might use quite a bit of. Roll-Off is a perfect example.
1 Quart at $9.99, 4 quarts to a gallon, $39.96 + $8.99 shipping.
Total is $48.95

A gallon was $24.99 + $5.99 shipping.
Total was $30.98
That makes the gallon size $17.97 cheaper than 4 quarts.
How could I pass up a bargain like that? :crazy2:

Charles

RTexasF
04-18-2007, 12:25 PM
I purchased the Roll Off and put it to the test this morning. We had a spot on our bedroom carpet where the dog decided to blow lunch some time back. I had used Folex, our Hoover carpet cleaner, nothing worked so I gave up. This morning I mixed Roll-Off with 50% tap water and sprayed the area until it took on a blue tinge (the color of Roll-Off). It sat maybe three minutes or so while I was getting the carpet cleaner ready. Bada Bing! The spot came up immediately. Yep, it`s worth buying a gallon alright.

Thanks CharlesW for the tip on a great versatile product.

audiboy
04-19-2007, 08:53 AM
It looks like I have something else that I "need" to buy now.

CharlesW
04-19-2007, 11:53 AM
It looks like I have something else that I "need" to buy now.
While I don`t consider it a miracle product, I don`t think you will be disappointed in it.
Since doing the Taurus with the Roll-Off at full strength, I have cleaned the engine compartment of the Montana, the wheels and engine of the Night Hawk motorcycle.
Since those areas were relatively clean to start with, I diluted the Roll-Off 50:50 with water. Wet the areas down first as recommended, sprayed the Roll-Off on, let it soak about 3 to 5 minutes, (it was starting to dry), sprayed some more to wet the surface again, agitated a few areas with a brush and rinsed it off. An old cotton terry towel to dry things and the job was done.
I have not yet tried it on anything else.

Charles

RTexasF
04-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Charles,

I noticed that the bottle said to dilute it severely for painted surfaces, one cup to three gallons. No problem in the engine compartments so far using it full strength? Certainly some painted areas need cleaning or catch a little overspray.

CharlesW
04-19-2007, 05:06 PM
Charles,

I noticed that the bottle said to dilute it severely for painted surfaces, one cup to three gallons. No problem in the engine compartments so far using it full strength? Certainly some painted areas need cleaning or catch a little overspray.There are lots of painted areas under the hood of both the Taurus and the Montana. The engine and wheels of the motorcycle also have lots of painted area.
I used it full strength on the Taurus on the recommendation of another user. So far, no paint is coming off from either the full strength or the 50-50 application. Right or wrong, (probably wrong), I felt that by having the areas wet when spraying the Roll-Off solution on, it would have less chance of doing any damage. I also felt that the higher dilution ratio was probably to keep from removing all the wax from a painted surface.

Charles

RTexasF
04-19-2007, 05:14 PM
Thank you sir.

As quickly as the 50/50 mix released the impossible carpet mess I`ll try it that way on the next engine compartment.....maybe wet it down first to boot. The next one coming up is a `91 Saab and I`d hate to accidentally remove old SS paint, if that`s even possible. I`ll proceed mildly as opposed to bold and see how, or even if, it works cut by 50%. Nasty engine compartment too so we shall see.