PDA

View Full Version : Ever use Clean Air for air/heat systems?

Suzanna
03-24-2007, 05:37 PM
My car is just under a year old and has developed a musty smell.
No water leaks of any type.
Pretty much continuous, not just when the a/c first comes on.

I`ve changed the cabin air filter, no difference.
Opening the sunroof helps.

Anyone ever use Clean Air or other similar products?
Did it help?
Do they cause any damage to the car?

Thanks,
Suzanna

CharlesW
03-24-2007, 06:56 PM
I`m not familiar with the Clean Air product, but I do have and use a GM product to reduce/eliminate odors in the heating and cooling ducts. It is sprayed in the air inlet of the sustem and seems to work with no ill effects that I am aware of.

Charles

GearHead_1
03-24-2007, 07:11 PM
I`ve never used the product you mentioned but suspect it is a similar product to one that I picked up a product called Ozium. When sprayed in the fresh air inlet (grill in front of the windshield on most cars) as well as the discharge ducts it will eliminate the musty odor and claims to kill mold for months. Initially it smells a little like Ozone (chem lab days) but doesn`t leave a specific perfumed scent just a clean smell. I thought it a bit of a gamble but took the chance and found that it doesn`t stain the plastic around the inlet or outlets either. I used to use a commercial foaming product called DWD2, it was a very good product. It cost many times the price of Ozium and was installed directly into the evaporator/heater core case. It took some technical ability to use on certain cars (drilling the evaporator case). Ozium lasts a long time and is very simple to use, I haven`t seen much need for a commercial product since using. I did a quick search for Clean Air but naturally came up with all the EPA stuff. Do you have a link to the product?

Suzanna
03-24-2007, 10:33 PM
Autogeek sells the Clean Air.
Clean AirŪ Eliminates odors<br>throughout cooling/heating system! (http://www.autogeek.net/cleanair.html)

I had searched for similar products to "remove musty smell in cars" a few months ago and remember reading about something leaving a build-up on the coils or something else that was not good.

So was wondering about this that AutoGeek sells.

Suzanna

CharlesW
03-24-2007, 11:02 PM
Autogeek sells the Clean Air.
Clean AirŪ Eliminates odors<br>throughout cooling/heating system! (http://www.autogeek.net/cleanair.html)

I had searched for similar products to "remove musty smell in cars" a few months ago and remember reading about something leaving a build-up on the coils or something else that was not good.

So was wondering about this that AutoGeek sells.

Suzanna
I have never heard of that possibility until now, but it does sound like something that could happen.
The problem will be that by the time you know it`s messing something up, it will be too late.
Kind of like finding out your vinyl protectant didn`t work when your vinyl starts cracking.
Given that the ac evaporator is pretty well coated with water from condensation while it is in use, I think it would be unlikely that much if any of the stuff would accumulate on it. I probably don`t use the GM stuff oftener than once a year and it doesn`t seem to require much of it to do the job. My personal feeling is that it won`t cause you any problem, but I`m not volunteering to take it apart and clean it if it does. :)

Charles