PDA

View Full Version : 1st detail with PC on a used car

waltj2k
03-15-2007, 03:26 PM
Hey fellas,

I picked up a 2000 Nissan Maxima a couple of days ago. The last own had the car for 3 years and of course neglected the paint. She has a dulled finish from oxidation and spider webs. Fortunately the only has a few major scratches.

So I am in the process of bring back the lustre of the cars paint. It`s going to be a long process but will be worth it when I finish. I recently aquired a PC 7336 from the Lowes clearance and got my Pinnacle XMT Intermediate swirl kit from Autogeek on Monday.

So far I have washed, clayed and washed again. Last night I began the swirl and scratch removal with the Lake Country Orange pad and XMT #3. I plan do all three steps.

This is taking some time to get knocked out but I want the car "shined up good". I`m hoping to finish with glaze tonight.

Now the question.

I have UPP. After doing the 3 steps with XMT should I layer on the UPP?

CharlesW
03-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Last night I began the swirl and scratch removal with the Lake Country Orange pad and XMT #3. I plan do all three steps.

I`m hoping to finish with glaze tonight.

Now the question.

I have UPP. After doing the 3 steps with XMT should I layer on the UPP?
I guess I`m not quite following what you are using.
You mention doing "all three steps". By that, do you mean XMT #3, XMT #2, and XMT #1?
You also mention "finishing with glaze tonight". Is this going to be in addition to the three XMT swirl removers or is it replacing a step?

Anyway, I haven`t used the XMT products, but the glaze appears to have carnauba in it. That makes for a great shine, but I don`t think I would put UPP over it. The carnauba will probably not let the UPP bond to the paint properly.
I don`t know that for sure, but a good rule of thumb has always been that it is OK to put a wax over a sealant, but not a sealant over a wax.
As far as "layering" UPP, I usually apply a second coat after 24 hours, (per the instructions), to be sure of uniform coverage. I don`t personally think that adding more layers does anything for the looks of the UPP. Just use the UPP again every 30 days and you will be looking good.

Charles

waltj2k
03-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Charles thanks for the reply.

I picked up the XMT Intermediate swirl remover kit.
XMT Pad Maintenance Kit by Pinnacle For your dual action or rotary polisher. (http://www.autogeek.net/pixmtinswrek.html)

#3 is the Intermediate Swirl remover

#1 is the Light swirl remover

Finally there is the Carnuba Finishing glaze.

I think I will just do those three steps and she will look waaay better than before.

bored7one4
03-16-2007, 03:32 PM
please post pic when your done waltj2k

waltj2k
03-16-2007, 07:56 PM
No doubt will share photos when finished. I`m about to apply the finishing glaze. Will take photos tomorrow. Weather will be nice so photos should look great.

C_Rock77
03-20-2007, 01:26 AM
From what I understand, Glazes have oils in them. That`s not going to be conducive to applying an acrylic sealant like UPP.

Did you pick up the Paint Cleanser (UPC) by 4*? As per their directions, you need to use the cleanser BEFORE applying UPP. Even if you don`t use the glaze, the polishes MAY have oils in them that will need to be removed before applying UPP. If you don`t have the UPC, Klasse AIO works well for this step, also.

Steve from Poorboy`s may correct me on this, and don`t quote me on this...but I believe some of the sealants like EX & EX-P can be applied over a glaze. Drop him a PM to ask him for clarification.