PDA

View Full Version : Ming Shine?

Bigs
03-14-2007, 05:52 PM
Has anyone ever heard or even used their products. This one is Canadian but I know they have it in the States also.

Your take on their services and products?

Ming Shine Site (http://www.mingshine.com/)

(It`s to back my answers at another forum!)

Thanks everyone! :)

Tex Star Detail
03-14-2007, 06:52 PM
Never seen or heard of it....sorry

budman3
03-14-2007, 07:15 PM
Never heard of it either... it sounds like a little better gimmick than the dealer paint protection packages... but I don`t think I believe it....

-The Ming Guarantee promises you satisfaction with your Ming "Mirror Finish" for seven years after the Ming process is performed.
-Ming has been in the auto beauty business since 1935.
The Ming process shines the natural paint finish by filling the pits and valleys (sometimes called pores) in every painted and clearcoat surface where dirt, grime and pollutants can collect.

It sounds like this is a "professionally" applied product. Kind of sounds like the X-Kote treatment even though I am not all that familiar with it.

GearHead_1
03-14-2007, 07:57 PM
They were popular back in the early 80`s. They would scare their customers into loyalty by telling them that they couldn`t use wax on their car once it had been Minged. If the product didn`t live up to the warranty and it didn`t they would furnish the new product but had a service fee to re-apply it.

Tex Star Detail
03-14-2007, 08:04 PM
Sounds like 5-star.......lol

RTexasF
03-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Ming is kinda like Maaco. They`ve been around forever but if you find a location that has been in the same place for more than three years it`s likely a good one. Many rental car places take their cars there to get cleaned up for resale.

Beemerboy
03-14-2007, 08:31 PM
They were popular back in the early 80`s. They would scare their customers into loyalty by telling them that they couldn`t use wax on their car once it had been Minged. If the product didn`t live up to the warranty and it didn`t they would furnish the new product but had a service fee to re-apply it.

GH..you hit this one on the gearhead:D I remeber my Mom buying a new Caddy and that was the go to finish ...I do remeber that they had some problems with the finish back then with cracking as I recall

dr_detail
03-14-2007, 08:56 PM
I used to manage one of the franchises back in the late 80`s. The only thing good about it IMO was the pad washer thing-a-ma-bob. The process used to leave the vehicles so !@#$%^ swirlled it was amazing. Use a wet double sided cutting pad with a dime sized amount of polish -- go this way, then that way, then this way again.... LOL... hard to believe that people would pay 500 bucks back then to have a "Ming Finish" sticker in their window. It did do what it said though, left the finish shiney and sealed for long after the customer would ever think about returning.

Bigs
03-15-2007, 06:47 AM
Basically what I said to the guy at my other forum! Thanks for the feedback guys!

AL-53
03-15-2007, 07:22 AM
Didn`t Ming have a big legal action in the early 80`s cause the process was causing paint failure and crazing..I use to see Ming ad`s in the 70`s and they also had a TV ad ..but they used billboards alot...

they were popular in the late 70`s and early 80`s...then seemed to die out..are they still in the US..never see ad`s for them now..but do remember they had legal action against them for paint failure at one time..

Al

Beemerboy
03-15-2007, 09:31 AM
Didn`t Ming have a big legal action in the early 80`s cause the process was causing paint failure and crazing..I use to see Ming ad`s in the 70`s and they also had a TV ad ..but they used billboards alot...

they were popular in the late 70`s and early 80`s...then seemed to die out..are they still in the US..never see ad`s for them now..but do remember they had legal action against them for paint failure at one time..

Al

That`s what I said that about the company... I remember that the finish in some cases would crack over time...The Ming finish was like putting lacquer on wood...it was pre-clear coat and acted if you will in the same way...I started detailing / washing cars for my mothers friends in the late 70`s and into the 80`s...it was one of the choices from the dealerships....much like perma-plate is now

tguil
03-15-2007, 11:01 AM
The Ming shop in my area (Lincoln, Nebraska) is a very high quality detail shop which offers a variety of services and products.

Tom :cool:

dr_detail
03-15-2007, 06:03 PM
The Ming finish was like putting lacquer on wood...it was pre-clear coat and acted if you will in the same way...
The Ming Finish process was a way of smooting out the paint surface by buffing out the vehicle. It was a multistep process utilizing their polishes in conjunction with a pad that was wetted with a bonnet cleaner (it looked like a cross between a spitune & a bidet). The process was very much like buffing the vehicle with compound, then a polish, then a machine glaze thereby leaving a smooth surface. There was not, as many think or were led to believe, something sprayed on the vehicle liken to a clearcoat. IMO it did what it said it would -- leave your new vehicle shiney for years to come.

Beemerboy
03-15-2007, 07:07 PM
The Ming Finish process was a way of smooting out the paint surface by buffing out the vehicle. It was a multistep process utilizing their polishes in conjunction with a pad that was wetted with a bonnet cleaner (it looked like a cross between a spitune & a bidet). The process was very much like buffing the vehicle with compound, then a polish, then a machine glaze thereby leaving a smooth surface. There was not, as many think or were led to believe, something sprayed on the vehicle liken to a clearcoat. IMO it did what it said it would -- leave your new vehicle shiney for years to come.

Dr.D

Thanks I confused this with Poly-Gluide Coating...I know that I spelled that wrong...that was the one that had all the problems with cracking...my bad!