PDA

View Full Version : Stainless/20 guage Steel scratches

HeavenlyV6
03-12-2007, 10:23 PM
I have stainless steel pieces on the outside of my car located in several areas. I have noticed scratches on these parts as well as other minor defects just from time. Is there anything out there that would help conceal these scratches and shine them up better?

dr_detail
03-12-2007, 10:27 PM
there are some remidies, however without pictures, make, model, or even year it`s hard to help suggest a solution :)

HeavenlyV6
03-12-2007, 10:42 PM
Ford Mustang, 1999, Convertible. Here are some pics of the stainless steel letters I have, you cannot see the scratches but they are there. I also have SS inserts where the side scoops are located and the hood scoop! Sorry I do not have pics to show the actual scratches! I do not have a great camera!

dr_detail
03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
That`s a nice pony :) Looks like you got your work cut out for ya though; they are in some rough areas to get to. If it were me, and this was to be a show piece, I`d start by masking off the paint. If they are just light surface scratches, and metal polish didn`t do the job, I`d move up to #000 steel wool wetted with the polish or a little light compound. Basicly, I`d work with something that has a lil grit, then work my way up to something with less grit, then less, then even less, finishing with something non abrasive like never-dull and then a final coat of wax. Something else comes to mind -- some of this type of aftermarket trim pieces are plastic coated. If this is the case, it will be even more work to restore. For what it`s worth -- if this was a customers vehicle, I`d make the recomendation to have them replaced -- for the time and labor involved with re-finishing them may not justify the cost of replacement. Of course, if this was a 74 F-250 grill (one year only) replacement would not be an option.

Hope this helps :)

HeavenlyV6
03-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Thanks. That definately helped. I am going to try that and see if it works. I might later on take these pieces off, so if I mess them up it will not be a huge deal. Thanks for the info though, really appreciate it!

Beemerboy
03-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Thanks. That definately helped. I am going to try that and see if it works. I might later on take these pieces off, so if I mess them up it will not be a huge deal. Thanks for the info though, really appreciate it!

I`m thinking that these are coated pieces and the scratches that you are seeing are in the coating....I would get some polish to start and see if you can lighten them up with that...What Dr.Detail is suggestion is the right way to approach if its bare metal...but that`s a lot of work...removing would be the way to go IMO also as Dr D said