PDA

View Full Version : Garage Lighting??

Beemerboy
03-04-2007, 12:10 PM
I looked in the search feather and didn`t see anything on this...or maybe I`m doing it wrong.

Anywho I cleaned the garage yesterday to get everything in the place that I want...(wife`s holiday boxes) Then I started looking at ceiling lighting and how to handle that. I was thinking about fluorescence, not sure of the lengths just yet.

I have two movable halogens but I only use those for inspections for the most part...I hate the heat that they generate.

I have one wall that is not sheet rocked so the reflection from one side will be cut down somewhat.

What are your thoughts?

I can get some pics if any one thinks that will help.

Thanks allot

DLR Detailing
03-04-2007, 06:28 PM
Beemerboy,

I have found that as my eyes get older I need more lights in the shop:surrender. That being said, I usually add another type of light source every year to the shop. I am happy for now with my set up.

I currently have 14 - 4ft. fluorescent lights evenly spaced on the ceiling to illuminate 720 sq. ft. As of late I have added 2 halogen 500w flood lamps fixtures to help with the shadows I get down low on the body. Of course I still break out the portable 1000w halogen work light to help with paint correction. I really should paint my walls white. Perhaps then the electric company could shut down a sub station.:D

Do a search for OHSA lighting requirements. This will give you an idea about how much luminance is actually needed for a given area and task.

IMO, fluorescent will have the lowest initial cost to install. The downside to halogens, as you mentioned, is the heat produced during operation. If I had an unlimited budget and had it to do all over again, I would still stick with fluorescent fixtures but upgrade to industrial quality. We use fixtures at the plant in the inspection areas which resemble natural light, but they are over 1grand a piece for 4 tube - 4ft fixtures. Very nice to work in.:inspector:

Good luck with your trips to the lighting stores.

Dave

jaybs02
03-04-2007, 06:38 PM
If you check Grainger they do carry some industrial lighting fixtures w/ T5 bulbs,
They throw off more light and consume less energy than standard flourescents, but they are kinda costly, but it is an option.

Good luck
"J"

hybrid240zxt
03-05-2007, 01:58 AM
I will tell you that if you end up getting your standard dual 4 foot fixures, WAL-MART! Found the fixture there for under $10 that was the plug in type.

BLUELINE 1
03-05-2007, 10:18 AM
Let me know which you decide on, and how they work because I`m planning on doing the same in my garage. I just finished building my cabnits and putting shelfs up, so now I just need better lighting.

dr_detail
03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
If you`re planning on detailing on a regular basis out of your garage, in addition to those mounted above, I would suggest mounting some florcencents horizontialy on the wall. One about 3` up the second about 6`. Also, IMO, 8` lamps might cost a lil more, but they are much nicer for giving a straight line finish checking reflection. :)

Brenton
03-05-2007, 11:03 AM
To be honest, Florescents are great for seeing swirl marks, scratches, and personality in the paint. I would love a second set of lights--stadium or showroom lighting--that I could hook up for interior cleaning and showing customers cars, but I haven`t found a reasonable way to do this.
brenton

Bellydawg
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
I have four, 2 light, 4-foot fixtures in a two car garage. I also have a portable halogen for shadows also. I recommend that you check the different flourescent bulbs offered. I bought the ones that are supposed to resemble sunlight and they are much brighter than what I was using before. They were perfect for the garage, yet I feel would be too bright for inside the house.

Good luck in your pursuit.

Beemerboy
03-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks all I will be buying the lights in a couple of weeks the 4 footers as they will fit the garage better

Woob
03-06-2007, 01:12 PM
Movable Halogens, Lots of Fluorescents, and I hear also Incandescent lighting is useful for light colors.

Let us know what you find out!

LikeaRock
03-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Our garage sucks for lighting, and it`s gotten worse because our new garage doors don`t have windows like the old ones. This weekend I`m hoping to run to Lowes and buy 5 of the 4` double fluorescents for our garage, should light up up quite nice :bigups

Beemerboy
03-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Our garage sucks for lighting, and it`s gotten worse because our new garage doors don`t have windows like the old ones. This weekend I`m hoping to run to Lowes and buy 5 of the 4` double fluorescents for our garage, should light up up quite nice :bigups

Mine are the same but I work with the doors open while detailing!

LikeaRock
03-08-2007, 09:53 PM
Mine are the same but I work with the doors open while detailing!
We don`t have any room for detailing in the garage, at least right now. We`ve got 2 complete Sprint Cars plus a frame sitting in there so there`s no room really. Once we find a new place to keep the toys I`ll have loads of room to work. I just hope that when I move out before the end of the year I`ll have a place with at least a 1 car to work in ;)

Troy@Protekt
03-08-2007, 10:29 PM
Just FYI, I was turned on to a halogen hand held pistol type flashlight that works great for inspecting paint. Mike Phillips uses one at his seminars. I notice that Wal-mart is selling them now.

I have one and it is great for showing my customers the difference when I polish their paint. Makes me look like I know what I`m doing. :D

Troy

Beemerboy
03-09-2007, 10:10 AM
Just FYI, I was turned on to a halogen hand held pistol type flashlight that works great for inspecting paint. Mike Phillips uses one at his seminars. I notice that Wal-mart is selling them now.

I have one and it is great for showing my customers the difference when I polish their paint. Makes me look like I know what I`m doing. :D

Troy

Thanks Troy I have two portable ones that are plug-ins and in the garage they are great for inspection....as I said earlier I do not care for them on all the time, because of the heat....I`m paranoid about them overheating and catching fire:huh: