PDA

View Full Version : And I thought $200 wax was insane!

CharlesW
02-11-2007, 12:20 AM
Yahoo news has a story to fit this headline:
BANGKOK, Thailand - It was an evening of utter decadence — a 10-course gourmet dinner concocted by world-renowned chefs at $25,000 a head.

Considering that most of my waxes cost me more or less about the price of eating out, I should be raising my sights a little.
I don`t have any problem with people having lots of disposable income, but the $25,000 a plate dinner is a little hard to take. 40 people were in attendance. Can you imagine how many starving people could have been fed if the money had been used to help some of them?

Charles

audiboy
02-11-2007, 06:22 AM
Was it a charity dinner or just people paying stupid prices for food?

CharlesW
02-11-2007, 11:05 AM
Was it a charity dinner or just people paying stupid prices for food?
Good question.

What they said,
"Organizers say the event was designed to promote Thai tourism and that most of the profits will go to two charities — Medecins Sans Frontieres and the Chaipattana Foundation, a rural development program set up by the king of Thailand."

What will actually happen, who knows.

In fairness to the event, I didn`t read the entire news release before I posted my comment. It would be interesting to know just how much the charities do receive.

Charles

audiboy
02-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Well, I can certainly understand the upper class paying this much for a dinner if the majority of the proceeds were to go to a charity or two. Paying that much for a regular meal, on the other hand, seems a bit absurd.

Troy@Protekt
02-11-2007, 11:35 AM
I`m still trying to get used to the higher prices at McDonald`s. :D

audiboy
02-11-2007, 11:37 AM
I`m still trying to get used to the higher prices at McDonald`s. :D

:lol:

Yeah, I doubt you could go into that type of event and aske to see the dollar menu.

CharlesW
02-11-2007, 11:55 AM
:lol:

Yeah, I doubt you could go into that type of event and aske to see the dollar menu.
Or send back the main course with a request for a cheeseburger and fries instead.

Charles

PA DETAILER
02-11-2007, 05:36 PM
related...on the food network ch. yesterday, they had the world`s most expensive desert. from NY. a $1000 ice cream sunday. unreal. it is in the guiness world book of records.