PDA

View Full Version : A fairly cold day for a wash

Pages : [1] 2

CharlesW
01-31-2007, 04:38 PM
The overnight low here was somewhere around 0, but by 8:30 AM it was up to 10 degrees.
The red Grand Prix has been brown for two weeks and driving me crazy. You can probably see where this is heading, right? :)
My garage was 19 degrees when I started the kerosene heater. In 10 minutes, it was 30 degrees and being the patient individual I am, I started on the windows. At first I thought my towels were linting and then I figured out the white specks were ice. It was obvious that a little more patience was needed. In another 10 minutes, the temperature was just over 40 and the windows were able to be cleaned. Even that made me feel better.
I used Poorboy`s S&W above the molding belt line and it was difficult to remove completely. The metal was still cold enough that the S&W didn`t evaporate at all and I had to wipe the paint several times to get the surface dry. Other than taking longer than usual, no real problem.
Since the lower part of the vehicle was so dirty, I used QEW to clean it. It did a good job without leaving a lot of water on the floor. I started with a gallon of QEW and water and used about half of it. By then the garage temperature was 50 degrees and the wheels were easy to do. I sprayed the wheels and tires with S&W then scrubbed them with an OXO small car wash brush that I dipped in the QEW solution I had left. Finished wiping down the wheels, tires and wheel wells with a cotton terry towel. Wiped the door sills with the MF I had used with the S&W and called it good enough.

In retrospect, I should have done the QEW washing first since the temperature seemed to have more of a detrimental effect on the S&W than it did on the QEW. The S&W seems to work much better for me at 50 degrees and above.
Overall, I think I should have waited until the garage was warmer, but my wife was needing her car and time became a factor. Actually, I probably should have waited for a warmer day, but today is only 23 dgrees now and it`s in the forecast to get cold again.

An awful lot of nothing about nothing, but felt I had to tell someone. :D

Charles

Poorboy
01-31-2007, 05:29 PM
I guess there`s not a whole lot to do in Iowa when it`s winter and cold:notme: :gotcha: :crazy2: :cheers:

CharlesW
01-31-2007, 05:44 PM
I guess there`s not a whole lot to do in Iowa when it`s winter and cold:notme: :gotcha: :crazy2: :cheers:
Actually, I`m going to a couple of college basketball games tonight. Just couldn`t let anyone see me in a dirty car. :)

Charles

RANDAL
01-31-2007, 08:33 PM
YEP we just wait for it ta warm up so wees can woosh the gooood caars. Yes it was cold up here wih the high in Audubon at 10 degrees and no one around wanting there vehicle cleaned up from all road sand and salt. The shops always above 50 as my mother-in-law has 2 inside dogs in the shop while shes working. Dont like it real hot in there but 60 isnt bad as compared to 10 degrees or less outside. could be that cold or colder for another week I guess with this cold air coming down from Canada, havnt heard them call it an Alberta Clipper yet though. RANDAL

tguil
02-03-2007, 11:22 PM
I think you Iowegians should have waited until today to wash your cars. It was -2 degrees with high winds when I drove through your state this morning.:D

Tom :cool:

CharlesW
02-03-2007, 11:27 PM
I think you Iowegians should have waited until today to wash your cars. It was -2 degrees with high winds when I drove through your state this morning.:D

Tom :cool:That`s why I did it Wednesday. I knew it was going to get cold.
FWIW, it`s -4 right now.
Were you headed east or west when you went through?

Charles

PA DETAILER
02-04-2007, 01:18 AM
i can forget washing/detailing here for awhile! last good wash was two saturdays ago. going to be below 0 the next several nights here in PA. i swear,if i ever hit the lottery, big heated garage with the works!! lol...nice to dream....

tguil
02-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Charles,

I was headed west to the warm sunshine of Nebraska. It`s 6 degrees right now in Lincoln. Illinois was even colder than Iowa. No truck washing for me until it hits the high twenties. Then it will be a trip to the coin op followed by a QEW wash in the garage.

Tom :cool:

joe.p
02-04-2007, 10:05 AM
9:05am -4 in Ill

jaybs02
02-04-2007, 10:14 AM
If you count the wind in, it`s 4 in West babylon

palomino
02-06-2007, 03:02 AM
I feel bad for you guys!

This morning, I washed the 328 & waxed it with some zymol carbon. Then I drove to school with the top down. It was 85 degrees today. :notme:

MagicCity33
02-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I was brave and got out there and cleaned my Q Saturday around 3:00 but as I was driing the car the water started to freeze along with my finger tips. I stormed into the house and told my wife not to say nothing about the income tax money because I building that stinkin garage! (LOL)

I was numb but my car looks good.

PA DETAILER
02-12-2007, 02:28 PM
finally got to about 30 today in PA. got to wash the ZR2. followed by turtle wax ice detailer. but, as i write this they are tracking a storm for tues/wednesday :( at least the salt/crap is off and it felt good to at least be outside!!!

Scott P
02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
I washed my car in 45 degree temps last month before a club meet. It took a while for my hands to warm up and stop hurting.

audiboy
02-12-2007, 02:55 PM
It got up to 55 today, so I seized the opportunity and gave the A4 a quick bath. It`s nice to see that my winter preps are holding up.